|Elevation||41 m (134 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||TN - 20|
|LS||Thiruvallur (SC) Lok Sabha constituency|
|VS||Tiruvallur (state assembly constituency)|
|MP||Dr. K. Jeyakumar|
|MLA||Raajendran V G|
Thozhur (Tamil: தொழூர்) is a Census Town, in Thiruvallur Taluk, in Tiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu, India.
Thozhur is located in Thiruvallur district at an elevation / altitude of 41 m above mean sea level and at the coordinates of: 13°07'26 5"N 79°57'20.5"E of Earth. Thozhur is situated near Sevvapet Road railway station.
Thozhur is bounded in the direction of Northwest by Ikkadu Kandigai, North by Palavakkam, Tiruvallur, Northeast by Muthapudupet, West by Puttlur, East by Sevvapet Road railway station, Southwest by Vengathur, South by Thiruthaleeshwarar Temple and Southeast by Perumalpattu.
Puttlur, Tiruninravur, Veppampattu, Pattabiram, Thiruvallur, Palavakkam, Tiruvallur, Ikkadu Kandigai, Muthapudupet, Perumalpattu, Kakkalur, Pakkam, Nadukuthagai, (Nemilicheri, Thiruvallur) and Sevvapet are some of the important neighborhoods of Thozhur. Melanur, Ikkadu, Veeraraghavapuram, Ramapuram and Koppur are some of the important subneighborhoods.
Government Higher Secondary School, Government High School, Government Model School, K. E. Natesan Chettiyar Government Higher Secondary School, S. K. S. Vivekananda Matriculation School, Shree Niketan Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Shri Kongurunathar Vidyalayam, Chinni SriRamulu Chetty Vivekananda Vidyalaya Matriculation School, Kurinchi School CBSE, Sidhaartha Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Raja Maheswari School, Panchayat Union Middle School are some of the important schools near Thozhur.
SriRam Engineering College, SriRam College of Arts and Science, Maritime Foundation (College) and Ponnusamy Nadar College of Arts and Science are some of the important colleges near Thozhur.
Government District Headquarters Hospital, R. K. B. Multi speciality Hospital (India) Pvt. Ltd, G. K. Hospital, Arjuna Hospital, C. S. I. Hospital are some medical facilities available near Thozhur.
As of 2011 Census of India, the total population of Thozhur, which is a Census Town in the district of Thiruvallur, in the state of Tamil Nadu, was 5,698 (males: 2,824 and females: 2,874). (The sex ratio was 1,018/1,000). Out of this, 61.23% (3,489) were Scheduled Castes and 0.02% (1) were Scheduled Tribes. The sex ratio of SC was 1,055/1,000 and of ST was 0/1,000. The population of Children below 6 years of age was 585 (males: 293 and females: 292). The Child sex ratio was 997/1,000 compared to Tamil Nadu State average of 943. Literacy rate of Thozhur was 88.93% (4,547) which was higher than the state average of 80.09%. Out of this, male literacy was around 95.14% (2,408) while female literacy was 92.80% i.e. 2,139.
Transport Corporation operates buses to Thozhur from Thiruvallur, Thiruninravur and Avadi. Whereas these places are connected to all places of Chennai and other places of Tamil Nadu and other neighbour states of India. Avadi is located 19 km from Thozhur. Tiruninravur is located 11 km from Thozhur. Thozhur is located 37 km away from Chennai. Chennai - Tiruvallur High (CTH) Road / Chennai Anantapur Highway passes through Thozhur.
Nearby railway stations
Sevvapet Road railway station (0.5 km), Tiruvallur railway station (5 km), Puttlur railway station (4 km), Thiruninravur railway station (10 km), Nemilichery railway station (13 km), Avadi railway station (19 km), Hindu College railway station (17 km), Pattabiram railway station (16 km) and Veppampattu railway station (6.5 km) are some of the important railway stations that connect Thozhur.
There is a road project connecting Thozhur along NH 205. It is one of the neighborhoods of the road project that measures about 2 to 2.5 km, the cost of the project being estimated at about ₹176 crore.
Some of the important Hindu temples near Thozhur include: Shri Venugopalasamy Temple, Shri Kailasanathar Temple, Shri Eswarar Temple, Shri Senkazhuneer Vinayagar, Chithambareswarar and Kesavaperumal Temple and Shri Poongavanathamman alias Ankalaparameswari Temple.
Thozhur is included in Tiruvallur (state assembly constituency) - (MLA - Raajendran V G), whereas it comes under Thiruvallur (SC) Lok Sabha constituency - (MP - Dr. K. Jeyakumar).
- Express News Service (2019-06-23). "4 bypass roads to come up along NH 205". Chennai: The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- Madras: (India : State) (1964). Fort Saint George Gazette. p. 7. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- PMJF Lion S M Sundaram, District Governor (2016). Lions 324A8 District Directory (2016-17): Digital Edition. Coimbatore: Signpost Celfon.In Technology. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- "District Census Handbook, Thiruvallur, Village and Town Directory" (PDF). Directorate of Census Operations, Tamil Nadu. Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. p. 30. Retrieved 2020-10-20.
- "District Census Handbook, Thiruvallur, Village and Town Directory". Directorate of Census Operations, Tamil Nadu. Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. pp. 30, 33, 42, 44, 46, 49, 60. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "4 bypass roads to come up along NH 205". The New Indian Express. 2019-06-23. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "Arulmigu Poongavanathamman Alias Ankalaparameswari Temple, Putlur - 602025, Tiruvallur District [TM001644]". HR & CE Department, Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "Lok Sabha Elections/2019 Results/Thiruvallur (SC)/General Elections to TNLA (2016)/Results/Thiruvallur". Datanet India Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 2020-10-20.