|Founder||Machan Resorts LLP|
The Machan is a luxury eco-resort featuring exclusive Tree house|treehouses in Lonavala, Maharashtra, located in the Western Ghats.
Spread over 25 acres (10ha) in one of the top 10 Biodiversity hotspot|biodiversity hotspots of the world, it is located close to the cities of Mumbai and Pune. Built over a period of 20 years, The Machan is one of India's first tree house resorts that promotes sustainable Ecotourism|eco-tourism , where each machan is constructed without encroaching on the existing flora .
The Machan has been recognised as one of India's top 20 romantic destinations by Condé Nast Traveller|Conde Nast Traveller  and won the Tripadvisor|TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award for Romantic Destination in 2011 and 2012 .
Windmill power more than 90% of the power requirements of The Machan ensuring that the resort uses sustainable energy. The word machan means platform or scaffolding in Sanskrit.
The 1980's saw a rise of ecotourism in India, with travellers looking for resorts that were built on sustainable models . Pawan Hooja, who owned the property in the Lonavala area of the Western Ghats, decided to create a single treehouse for a select group of people. It was simply called the "machan", which is the Hindi word for a treehouse. Over the next few years, the word of this sustainably built tree-house, which also had the best of comforts, slowly spread amongst people from Mumbai (then known as Bombay) and a total of 29 tree houses were added over the next 20 years.
To ensure that the resort did not adversely impact the environment, the owners built their own sources of sustainable energy and the resort draws more than 90% of its power requirements from renewable sources such as solar and wind .
Transport to The Machan is by road either from Mumbai or Pune. The closest airport is the Pune Airport|Lohegaon Airport, situated at a distance of about 120 kilometres.
The Machan is a regular destination for stars from Bollywood and industrialists from Mumbai. Some famous visitors include Radhika Apte , Nimrat Kaur, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, amongst others.
The Machan regularly features in lists of the most romantic destinations and best treehouses in India. In 2013 Conde Nast Traveller named it one of the Top 20 Romantic Destinations in India. The resort won the TripaAdvisor Readers' Choice Award in 2011 and 2012. The National Geographic Traveler|National Geographic Traveller reviewed it as "a chic, off-the-grid experience in a biodiversity hotspot."
The Machan is owned and operated by Machan Resorts LLP.
In addition to The Machan MRLLP also owns and operates Prima Escapes, which provides Luxury villa|Luxury Villas on short term vacation rentals.
- "Western Ghats", Wikipedia, 2020-06-25, retrieved 2020-07-01
- "What Makes The Machan A Serene Getaway". Verve Magazine. 2017-08-03. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "DESIGN PATAKA # 22 -The Machan - Paradise by Shabbir Unwala". The Digital Design Authority on Indian and international interiors, architecture and art. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "India's 20 most romantic resorts". Condé Nast Traveller India. 2013-07-11. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "TripAdvisor Media Network, India's Top Romantic Hotels, Taj Lake Palace". www.businesswireindia.com. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Importance of Ecotourism in India" (PDF). Shodhganga.
- "Monsoon Travel to Hidden Gem in Lonavala: The Machan". An authentic sustainability resource. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- Desk, India com Buzz (2018-10-21). "Radhika Chills in Pool as She Takes Out Time From Her Busy Schedule, See Pictures". India News, Breaking News, Entertainment News | India.com. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Forest Stay: The Machan, Lonavla". Your Site NAME Goes HERE. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "Origins - History of The Machan Lonavala - the most romantic eco resort located near Mumbai & Pune". www.themachan.com. Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- "PrimaEscapes". www.primaescapes.com. Retrieved 2020-07-01.