|Born||November 9, 1962|
Durham, North Carolina
Stuart Krohn (born (November 9, 1962) is a former professional rugby union player. At the University of California, Santa Barbara, he was an All-American in 1986. In Hong Kong, he played for Valley RFC for eight years, as the team won eight consecutive championships, and captained the international team at the 1993 Rugby World Cup Sevens and the 1997 Rugby World Cup Sevens. Krohn was a member of the silver medal winning USA Men's Rugby Team at the 1993 Maccabiah Games in Israel, and a member of the gold medal winning team at the 1997 Maccabiah Games.
Krohn started playing rugby at the University of Colorado Boulder, for the Colorado Buffaloes in 1980. He transferred to the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), and played rugby there for the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos. For his junior year, he went to study in France, where he played rugby, leading to a professional contract with Kronenbourg RFC in 1984. He dropped out of school to play rugby for a second year in France in 1985, for Stade Toulousain, and won the French National Rugby Championship with the team. Then he returned to UCSB and was the player-coach of the team. He was an All-American in 1986. In 1987 he graduated from UCSB with a bachelor’s degree in History.
He then went to New Zealand and played for the North Shore Rugby Football Club club for two years. Krohn next went to Durban, South Africa, and played for the College Rovers professional rugby club for two years.
Krohn went to Hong Kong where he was a Hong Kong international and played at forward/backrower/No. 8 for Valley RFC for eight years, as the team won eight consecutive championships. There, he captained the international team at two Rugby World Cup Sevens. He was a member of Hong Kong's Plate-winning side at the 1992 Sevens. He played on the Hong Kong 1993 Rugby World Cup Sevens squad in Pool D, and the Hong Kong 1997 Rugby World Cup Sevens squad in Pool D.
In 1993, he began and directed a youth rugby program in South Los Angeles, California, as part of the Inner City Education Foundation. In 1999, Krohn started coaching and playing for the Santa Monica Rugby Club.
At the 1993 Maccabiah Games in Israel Krohn was a member of the silver medal winning USA Men's Rugby Team, at the 1997 Maccabiah Games he was a member of the gold medal winning team, and at the 2005 Maccabiah Games he was Head Coach of the silver medal winning team.
Halls of fame
In 2014 Krohn was inducted into the Southern California Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, and in 2015 he was inducted into the Hong Kong Rugby Football Union’s Hall of Fame. In 2018 he was inducted into the Maccabi USA Rugby Hall of Fame.
In the media
- Suzuki, Marcia (December 4, 2012). "SL Interview: Teacher, Coach Stuart Krohn Talks About Inner-City Rugby". LA84 Foundation.
- "Stuart Krohn". Santa Monica Rugby Club Hall of Fame.
- "Stuart Krohn; ICEF Public Schools; Director of ICEF Rugby and Sailing". ICEF Public Schools.
- Shel Wallman (January 25, 1995). "Sports Scene; Jewish champions". Jewish Post, Indianapolis, Marion County. p. 20.
- "Stuart Krohn". U.S. Maccabiah Rugby.
- "Rugby: Local legends inducted into Hong Kong Hall of Fame". Sport Asia. May 10, 2015.
- "Field of concrete dreams for rugby-playing LA youths". Bangkok Post. September 17, 2015.
- "Stuart Krohn; Inductee; Rugby - 2014". Southern California Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.
- Don Hellriegel; John W Slocum (2009). Organizational Behavior, South-Western Cengage Learning.
- "List of Hall of Fame Members". Hall of Fame - Santa Monica Rugby Club.
- "Ex-Hong Kong international nurtures concrete field of dreams for rugby-playing LA youngsters". South China Morning Post. September 19, 2015.
- "All Teams; World Rugby". www.world.rugby.
- "1993 Rugby World Cup Sevens; 16 - 18 April 1993; Hong Kong 7s". www.world.rugby.
- "Maccabi USA Rugby 2018 HOF Stuart Krohn, Ray Cornbill, Shawn Lipman". February 13, 2018.
- Sondheimer, Eric (September 16, 2013). "15 selected for Southern California Jewish Sports Hall of Fame". Los Angeles Times.
- Hebe Chung (May 13, 2015). "HKRFU induct new members of Hong Kong Rugby Hall of Fame". Boxscore News.
- Stuart Krohn - the Santa Monica Rugby Club
- US Maccabiah Rugby » Stuart Krohn- Class of 2018
- Stuart Krohn: Director of ICEF Student Leadership Academy
- ICEF Rugby – Athletics – Inner City Education Foundation
- Stuart Krohn | Rugby Union | Players and Officials | ESPN Scrum
- An Inspirational “Odyssey”: An Interview with ICEF Rugby Director and Coach Stuart Krohn
This article "Stuart Krohn" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.