|Add a Photo|
Steven William Victor
1978 (age 43–44)
New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Morehouse College|
|Employer||Universal Music Group|
|Known for||COO - GOOD Music|
|Title||CEO, COO, and SVP of A&R|
|Spouse(s)||Christine L. Calip|
Steven William Victor (born 1978) is an American record executive, artist manager, and A&R representative. He is the founder and current CEO of Victor Victor Worldwide, COO of GOOD Music, and SVP of A&R at Universal Music Group. He formerly served as EVP of A&R at Def Jam Recordings.
He works closely with notable artists, including Kanye West, Pusha T, The-Dream, and Pop Smoke, among others. He currently reports directly to Universal Music Group chairman and current chief executive officer Lucian Grainge.
Early life and education
Steven William Victor was born in 1978 in New York City. He attended Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia and graduated with a bachelor's degree.
Victor began his career as an intern at Interscope Records, to which he was later promoted to publicity assistant in 2003, working in public relations for six years. During his tenure at Interscope, he met American rapper and record executive Pusha T, which at the time was one-half of the hip hop duo Clipse. He formed a mutual relationship with him, and became his publicist and manager for Clipse and later himself. In late 2015, Pusha T became president of GOOD Music, while Victor later became COO of GOOD. In late 2016, he was appointed SVP of A&R at Universal Music Group, while simultaneously holding his position at GOOD. He also started to manage at the time for Tyga, The-Dream, and Desiigner, the latter of whom he formerly signed to GOOD. In October 2017, he was named EVP of A&R at Def Jam Recordings, reporting to then-CEO Paul Rosenberg and replacing his position as SVP of A&R at Universal. In August 2019, he left Def Jam and transitioned back to his previous position at Universal, while entering a joint venture with them to form his own record label, Victor Victor Worldwide, giving him the power to sign any of their artists to a joint venture deal with his label and any other label under Universal. He is currently the CEO of Victor Victor.
Since then, notable acts signed to Victor Victor include the late American rapper Pop Smoke, Ski Mask the Slump God, and 16yrold, which all of the artists on the recording side are concurrently signed to Republic Records. Victor Victor has also notably signed 16yrold and CashMoneyAP on the publishing side concurrently with Universal Music Publishing Group.
On December 12, 2016, Victor married Christine L. Calip, who formerly served as SVP of Business & Legal Affairs at Universal Music Group. Their wedding was held at the St. Francis Xavier Church in Manhattan. Notable people in attendance include Pusha T, The-Dream, and Desiigner. Calip later took on her married name as Calip Victor, and is currently SVP of Business & Legal Affairs at Bravado, a merchandising and brand management company owned by Universal.
In the media
- "Steven Victor Named SVP A&R at Universal Music". Billboard. November 9, 2016.
- "40 Under 40: Music's Top Young Power Players Revealed (2018)". Billboard. October 18, 2018.
- "Steven Victor named EVP, Head of A&R at Def Jam". Music Business Worldwide. October 17, 2017.
- Olsen, Patricia (July 14, 2017). "An Office Built Around Hip-Hop". The New York Times.
- Aswad, Jem (August 14, 2019). "Steven Victor Shifts From Def Jam to Focus on Joint Venture at Universal (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Ivey, Justin. "Steven Victor Named Senior Vice President of A&R at Universal - XXL". XXL.
- Jones, Biz (September 6, 2019). "Pusha-T Salutes The "Shot Caller + Play Maker Of" His Music Career: "It's Only Right You Drown In Success"". SOHH.
- "Pusha T is the new president of G.O.O.D. Music". Fact. November 9, 2015.
- "Steven Victor Named SVP A&R at Universal Music". Yahoo Finance.
- "Steven Victor Joins Def Jam as EVP, Head of A&R". Billboard. October 17, 2017.
- Ivey, Justin (October 18, 2017). "G.O.O.D. Music's Steven Victor Named Def Jam Executive VP & Head Of A&R". HipHopDX.
- "Steven Victor: Hip-Hop Power Players 2017". Billboard. September 14, 2017.
- Johnson, Noah. "How To Buy a Wedding Suit When Pusha T and Desiigner Are Your Groomsmen". GQ.
- "Christine Calip Victor Joins UMG's Bravado as SVP". Billboard. July 17, 2017.
- Steven Victor on linkedin
- Steven Victor on instagram
- Steven Victor Shifts From Def Jam to Focus on Joint Venture
- Steven Victor Archives - Music Business Worldwide
- Hip-Hop Power Players 2017: The Youth Ambassador
This article "Steven Victor" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.