|Add a Photo|
|Employer||Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies|
Steven Umbrello is an Italian-Canadian ethicist and researcher of ethics of technology at the University of Turin.. He is the Managing Director of the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, a think tank focused on techno-progressivism.
Steven obtained his Honours Bachelor of Arts in philosophy, philosophy of science, and classical civilizations from the University of Toronto. This was followed by a M.A in Science and Technology Studies from York University supervised by Daniel McArthur and a MSc in Epistemology, Ethics and Mind from the University of Edinburgh under the supervision of Emma C. Gordon with a dissertation eventually published in the journal Science and Engineering Ethics. In 2018, he enrolled in the Ph.D program of the FINO Northwestern Italian Philosophy Consortium, where he researches meaningful human control of autonomous weapons systems and value sensitive design.
Steven began working as a Junior Associate with Seth Baum at the Global Catastrophic Risk Institute (GCRI). During his time at GCRI he contributed to a number of organizational activities including research projects and publications focused primarily on advanced nanotechnology and atomically precise manufacturing.
In 2015, Steven began working as the Assistant Managing Director of the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies. In the spring of 2016, Steven assumed the role of Managing Director after the then Managing Director Hank Pellissier stepped down.
After leaving the Global Catastrophic Risk Institute in 2018, Steven's main research focus shifted to engineering ethics with a primary focus on the philosophical and methodological underpinnings of the Value Sensitive Design approach to technology design.
Furthermore, Steven is the co-editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Technoethics (2020 to present) along with Baha Abu-Shaqra, the book reviews editor of the journal Prometheus - critical studies in innovation (2018 to present), and sits on numerous editorial boards including that of the journals Delphi: Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies', ROBONOMICS: The Journal of the Automated Economy, Informatica and the AI Ethics Journal. He also served as an Associate Editor of the journal Science and Engineering Ethics.
In the media
- Torino, Università degli Studi di. "Steven Umbrello". Dipartimento di Filosofia e Scienze dell'Educazione (in italiano). Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "DFE - ECCELLENZA - Dottorandi". sites.google.com. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Steven Umbrello". AI Watch. 2020-09-07. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- Bainbridge, William Sims (2017), Bainbridge, William Sims (ed.), "Transhumanism: An Online Network of Technoprogressive Quasi-Religions", Dynamic Secularization: Information Technology and the Tension Between Religion and Science, Cham: Springer International Publishing, pp. 209–236, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-56502-6_8, ISBN 978-3-319-56502-6, retrieved 2020-09-29
- MacFarlane, James Michael (2020-05-19). Transhumanism as a New Social Movement: The Techno-Centred Imagination. Springer Nature. ISBN 978-3-030-40090-3.
- "Towards an ethics of technology". Impactscool Magazine. 2020-01-17. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Steven Umbrello". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Lifeboat Foundation Bios: Steven Umbrello, MA, MSc". lifeboat.com. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Recent Graduates | Science & Technology Studies | Faculty of Graduate Studies | York University". sts.gradstudies.yorku.ca. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "CV". EMMA C. GORDON. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "PhD Students « FINO". www.finophd.eu (in italiano). Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- ORCID. "Steven Umbrello (0000-0003-2594-6313)". orcid.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "May Newsletter: Molecular Nanotechnology | Global Catastrophic Risk Institute". Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "GCRI Welcomes Professional Assistant Steven Umbrello | Global Catastrophic Risk Institute". Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- "Steven Umbrello". GHPI. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- Rao, Bharat; Harrison, Adam J.; Mulloth, Bala (2020-05-29). Defense Technological Innovation: Issues and Challenges in an Era of Converging Technologies. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78990-210-5.
- "IEET Bids Farewell to Hank Pellissier and Welcomes New Managing Director". ieet.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "To Ghost or Not to Ghost?". Complex. Retrieved 2020-10-01.
- Longo, Francesco; Padovano, Antonio; Umbrello, Steven (January 2020). "Value-Oriented and Ethical Technology Engineering in Industry 5.0: A Human-Centric Perspective for the Design of the Factory of the Future". Applied Sciences. 10 (12): 4182. doi:10.3390/app10124182.
- "Steven Umbrello - Google Scholar". scholar.google.ca. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- van de Kaa, Geerten; Rezaei, Jafar; Taebi, Behnam; van de Poel, Ibo; Kizhakenath, Abhilash (2020-02-01). "How to Weigh Values in Value Sensitive Design: A Best Worst Method Approach for the Case of Smart Metering". Science and Engineering Ethics. 26 (1): 475–494. doi:10.1007/s11948-019-00105-3. ISSN 1471-5546. PMC 6978429. PMID 30963389.
- Kelley, David; Waser, Mark (2019). Samsonovich, Alexei V. (ed.). "Feasibility Study and Practical Applications Using Independent Core Observer Model AGI Systems for Behavioral Modification in Recalcitrant Populations". Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures 2018. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. Cham: Springer International Publishing. 848: 165–173. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-99316-4_22. ISBN 978-3-319-99316-4.
- "Building ethically robust AI systems and gaining trust". Capgemini Worldwide. 2020-09-30. Retrieved 2020-10-01.
- "IEET Managing Director Steven Umbrello assumes role as co-Editor of the International Journal of Technoethics | EthicShare Community". ethicshare.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "IRMA-International.org: International Journal of Technoethics (IJT) (1947-3451)(1947-346X): Baha Abu-Shaqra, Steven Umbrello: Journals". www.irma-international.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Prometheus – Critical Studies In Innovation". Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Delphi - Interdisciplinary Review of Emerging Technologies: Aims and Scope". delphi.lexxion.eu. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Editorial Team | Robonomics". journal.robonomics.science. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Editorial Team". www.informatica.si. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "The Advisory Board | The AI Ethics Journal". AI Ethics Journal. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Science and Engineering Ethics". Springer. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- Steven Umbrello on Twitter
- Steven Umbrello on Instagram
- Steven Umbrello on Facebook
- on 's channelYouTube
- Steven Umbrello on linkedin
- Steven Umbrello
- Steven Umbrello - Google Scholar Citations
- Steven Umbrello (Università di Torino) - PhilPeople
- Steven Umbrello - IMDb
- Steven Umbrello - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technology
- Steven Umbrello - The Solutions Journal
This article "Steven Umbrello" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.