Shinsuke J. Sugiyama
Shinsuke J. Sugiyama
|Japan Ambassador to United States of America|
|Assumed office |
March 28, 2018
|Preceded by||Kenichirō Sasae|
|Born||May 14, 1953|
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
|Spouse(s)||Yoko Elizabeth Sugiyama|
Shinsuke J. Sugiyama (杉山 晋輔, Sugiyama Shinsuke) is a Japanese diplomat who is currently Japanese ambassador to the United States.
Sugiyama passed the official exam for foreign affairs in October 1976, enrolling in law school at Waseda University in March of the following year, but dropping out the next month to join the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 1978, he traveled to the United Kingdom to study English for two years at Oxford University.
His career as a diplomat has included a previous tour in Washington as well postings in Nigeria, Egypt and South Korea, along with a prior assignment to Washington from 1989 to 1992, when he was first secretary in the economics section of the Japanese embassy.
In late 2017, he was selected to become Japan's ambassador to the United States. He pledged to work with American officials to resolve issues with North Korea, including the nation's nuclear arsenal and abductions of Japanese citizens. He presented his credentials to President Donald Trump on March 28, 2018.
As ambassador, he helped negotiate an agricultural trade pact with American officials.
Sugiyama was married for nearly 40 years to Yoko Elizabeth Sugiyama, who died suddenly of apparent heart failure at their Tokyo home while recovering from a stomach ulcer. She was 66.
Their daughter, Reina, is a fashion designer in New York. Their son, Shunsuke, lives in Japan with his wife and four children.
Sugiyama is Anglican.
| Japanese Ambassador to the United States
In the media
- "Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the United States of America". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "Vice Foreign Minister Shinsuke Sugiyama to succeed Kenichiro Sasae as ambassador to United States". Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "Embassy of Japan in the USA". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "Trump hails victory for American farmers as US and Japan sign trade deal". South China Morning Post. 8 October 2019. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "Yoko Elizabeth Sugiyama, Wife of Japanese Ambassador, Dies at 66". washdiplomat.com. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "Japanese Ambassador and Wife Enjoy Nearly 40 Years of 'Happily Ever After'". washdiplomat.com. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the USA
- Ambassador Shinsuke J. Sugiyama | Meridian International
- “Japan’s Foreign Policy and International Law” with Ambassador Shinsuke J. Sugiyama
- Ambassador Shinsuke J. Sugiyama | Johns Hopkins SAIS
- Shinsuke Sugiyama - The Japan Times
- Yoko Elizabeth Sugiyama, Wife of Japanese Ambassador, Dies at 66
- Shinsuke j. sugiyama: Latest and Breaking News, video, special reports
This article "Shinsuke J. Sugiyama" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.