Shadow of Intent
Shadow of Intent
|Add a Photo|
|Origin||Hartford, Connecticut United States|
|Genres||Deathcore, Melodic Death Metal, Symphonic Death Metal|
|Associated acts||Hollow Prophet, Scumfuck, Whitechapel (band)|
|Past members||Matt Kohanowski|
Shadow of Intent is an American Symphonic/Melodic Deathcore band from Connecticut. They were formed in 2013 as a Halo (franchise)|Halo-themed Studio band|studio project by Ben Duerr and Chris Wiseman. They released their debut album Primordial in 2016. They began touring in 2018 after the release of their second album Reclaimer. The band's name is a reference to a ship in the Halo (franchise)|Halo series.
Shadow of Intent were formed in 2013 in Connecticut by vocalist Ben Duerr and guitarist Chris Wiseman. They met playing in separate bands at a local concert. They were inspired by Halo (franchise)|Halo and the name "Shadow of Intent" came from a ship in the game series bearing the same name. The group was initially formed as a studio band|studio project. Duerr describes himself as a Halo nerd and stated that their music follows the storyline of the Halo novels.
Inferi Sententia and Primordial (2014–2016)
The group released their EP Inferi Sententia on July 18, 2014 and debut album Primordial on January 10, 2016. The tracks on both albums were produced via homemade recordings. All of the tracks on Inferi Sententia were mastered and re-released on Primordial. The drum tracks are programmed on both albums. Keyboard and orchestral Sampling (music)|samples are also present on these albums.
Duerr was responsible solely for the vocals during the songwriting process and Wiseman was responsible for all of the remaining songwriting.
New Members, Reclaimer, and The Instrumentals (2016–2017)
On 19 September 2016, they announced the addition of Matt Kohanowski on drums, marking the end of the group's time as a two-man project. On 31 March, 2017 they announced the addition of new members Federico Zuccarelli on guitar and Keith Kohlhepp on bass. This brought the total members of the group to five.
On April 28, 2017 Shadow of Intent released Reclaimer, their first album without programmed drum tracks and the first album where each instrument had a unique player. It reached #4 on the iTunes metal chart at debut. It was described by MetalSucks as "nothing short of a triumph of symphonic deathcore".
The band released The Instrumentals on October 20, 2017. The album contained instrumental versions of all of the songs from both of the preceding albums. An instrumental version of Melancholy was also released on November 22, 2019.
Touring and Melancholy (2018–Present)
In December 2017, Shadow of Intent began touring with their now four-man lineup. On March 30, 2018, they released their new single 'Underneath a Sullen Moon', their first track which was not Halo-themed. On December 14, 2018, the group announced that Anthony Barone would be joining the group as their drummer.
On August 16, 2019 Shadow of Intent released Melancholy which included a remastered version of the aforementioned single as one of the tracks on the album. Francesco Ferrini of Fleshgod Apocalypse contributed to the orchestral work on this album. Melancholy has been described as a concept album depicting mass suicides orchestrated by a demonic goddess. This album marked a departure from writing strictly Halo-themed music.
On November 8, 2020 the group announced they were parting ways with Anthony Barone and that Bryce Butler would be replacing him.
Musical style and influences
Duerr first began practicing metal vocals in 2008. He has cited Travis Ryan of Cattle Decapitation as his biggest influence and inspiration.
Shadow of Intent's symphonic style has been compared to Fleshgod Apocalypse, Ovid's Withering, Dimmu Borgir. Their stylistic development has been described as incorporating Blackened Death Metal and progressive metal|Progressive elements in their Melancholy release.
- Ben Duerr – Vocals (2013–present)
- Chris Wiseman – Guitar, Backing Vocals, Programming (2013–present)
- Andrew Monias – Bass (2018–present)
- Bryce Butler – Drums (2020–present)
- Matt Kohanowski – Drums (2016–2018)
- Keith Kohlhepp – Bass (2017–2018)
- Federico Zuccarelli – Guitar (2017)
- Anthony Barone – Drums (2018–2020)
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Top Album Sales|US
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that country.|
- Inferi Sententia (18 July, 2014)
- Underneath a Sullen Moon (30 March 2018)
In the media
- ↑ "Shadow of Intent Band Entry". The Metal Archives. Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ "Halo Wiki Shadow of Intent". Halopedia. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Boozeman, Phil. "Video Premiere: Shadow of Intent, "Barren and Breathless Macrocosm" (ft. Trevor Strnad)". MetalSucks. MetalSucks. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Kendrick, Monica. "Deathcore Wizards Shadow of Intent Shred With or Without Vocals". Reader. Chicago Reader. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Boozeman, Phil. "Album Review: Shadow of Intent's Melancholy Achieves Perfection in Death". MetalSucks. MetalSucks. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Neilstein, Vince. "Shadow of Intent Release New Video, Announce New Drummer". MetalSucks. MetalSucks. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Swickard, Jordan. "INTERVIEW: BEN DUERR OF SHADOW OF INTENT, DESPONDENT, AND IN DEPTHS & TIDES". New Transcendence. New Transcendence. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Boozeman, Phil. "The New Shadow of Intent Album Will Sexually Excite You". MetalSucks. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ Welsh, Connor. "REVIEW: SHADOW OF INTENT – MELANCHOLY ". New Transcendence. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ "Top Album Sales The Week of August 31, 2019". Billboard. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ "Independent Albums The Week of August 31, 2019". Billboard. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- ↑ "Heatseeker Albums The Week of August 31, 2019". Billboard. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
This article "Shadow of Intent" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.