|Born||1972 (age 49–50)|
|Education||MSc. (civil engineering and hydraulics)|
|Alma mater||Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)|
Robert Mardini (born 1972) is Director-General of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
Early life and education
Mardini was born and raised in Tripoli, Lebanon. He was educated at the Lycée Français in Tripoli and at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, where he was awarded a Master of Science in civil engineering and hydraulics in 1996.
Mardini joined the ICRC in 1997, coordinating water engineering programmes in Rwanda and Iraq, before leading the organization’s Water & Habitat Unit with projects in over 40 countries, improving access to water, sanitation and hygiene services to around 14 million people per year. He went on to hold various senior positions within the organization, including Deputy Director General (2010-2012), Regional Director for the Near and Middle East (2012-2018) and Permanent Observer of the ICRC to the United Nations & Head of Delegation in New York (2018-2020). In this latter role, Mardini steered the ICRC’s diplomatic engagement with the UN Security Council, the UN General Assembly, Member States and UN entities to influence decisions on humanitarian issues across policy themes and geographic contexts.    He has spoken and published on a broad range of key issues such as armed conflict and humanitarian crisis in the Middle East; international humanitarian law; sexual violence in conflict; humanitarian action and counter-terrorism measures; and the future of humanitarian action. Mardini was appointed ICRC Director-General in October 2019 , and took up his position on 30 March 2020.
Mardini has Lebanese and Swiss citizenship. He is married and has two daughters.
- "International Humanitarian Law is key to upholding multilateralism and addressing global challenges". November 9, 2018 – via www.icrc.org.
- "Developing capacity for peace and security of African States requires sustained partnerships". International Committee of the Red Cross. November 20, 2018.
- "First ever ICRC contribution to Security Council debate on climate - Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre". www.climatecentre.org.
- "Viewpoint: Why it is unconscionable to attack Syria's aid workers". September 23, 2016 – via www.bbc.com.
- "Iraq: ICRC strongly condemns use of chemical weapons around Mosul". International Committee of the Red Cross. March 3, 2017.
- Zarocostas, John (May 29, 2017). "Frontline: Providing care in the midst of the crisis in Yemen". The Lancet. 389 (10081): 1785. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31199-6.
- "Robert Mardini: "Il est urgent de croire au droit international humanitaire"". rts.ch. July 6, 2018.
- "We must create and safeguard an environment that prevents sexual violence". International Committee of the Red Cross. April 23, 2019.
- "ICRC statement to UN Security Council opens debate on preventing and combating financing of terrorism". March 28, 2019 – via www.icrc.org.
- "In a changing world, humanitarianism needs to be smarter and more innovative than ever". The National.
- "ICRC appoints new director-general". International Committee of the Red Cross. October 31, 2019.
This article "Robert Mardini" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.