|Add a Photo|
|Born||1996 (age 24–25)|
Uttar Pradesh, India
|Education||B. Tech in Computer Science|
|Occupation||Observer (Airborne Tactician) in the helicopter fleet|
|Known for||First of 2 airborne combatant ladies operating from Indian warships|
Sub Lieutenant (SLt) Riti Singh is one of the first two ladies, along with SLt Kumudini Tyagi, to have earned their wings for operating from Indian Navy warships.
Riti comes from a family that has a history of serving in the armed forces for four generations. Her grandfather served as a signals officer in the Indian Army. Her father, Commander S K Singh, retired from the Indian Navy. Her mother is an English teacher, and she has an elder sister, Riya. Both her parents helped her train for the entrance exam.
She was born in 1996 in Uttar Pradesh, where the family hails from. They moved to Hyderabad, Telengana in 2002. She holds a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science.
On September 21, 2020, Riti was inducted as an Observer (Airborne Tactician) in the helicopter fleet of the Indian Navy. She was among a group of 17 officers, including four women officers, and three officers of the Indian Coast Guard, who were awarded "Wings" on graduating as "Observers" at a ceremony held at INS Garuda, Kochi. Rear Admiral Antony George, Chief Staff Officer (Training), presiding over the ceremony, highlighted it as a landmark occasion.
Her training includes Air Navigation, Flying Procedure, Air Warfare, Anti-Submarine Warfare. She is now training to operate a host of sensors onboard navy multi-role, or Utility Helicopters, including sonar consoles and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) payloads. She is likely to fly in the MH-60R Seahawk. Her deployments are expected to be on frontline Indian Navy warships including long duration missions.
In the media
- "In a first, 2 women officers to operate helicopters from Indian Navy warships". Hindustan Times. 2020-09-21. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "Meet the lady officers making naval history". Rediff. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "Been waiting for this moment all my life: Sub Lieutenant Riti Singh's dreams take 'wing'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "Observer - Join Indian Navy | Government of India". www.joinindiannavy.gov.in. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "2 महिला अफसरों को पहली बार वॉरशिप पर तैनात करेगी नौसेना, ये हेलिकॉप्टरों को ऑपरेट करेंगी; राफेल को भी पहली महिला पायलट जल्द मिलेगी". Dainik Bhaskar (in हिन्दी). 2020-09-21. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "Designating enemies, pointing out targets will be my job: Navy woman officer picked for deployment on warship". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "Women Officers in Helicopter Stream of Indian Navy". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "Meet The Navy's First Women Combat Aviators To Be Deployed On Warships". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- "2 women officers to operate choppers from warships". Rediff. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- Been waiting for this moment all my life: Sub Lieutenant Riti Singh's dreams take 'wing'
- Navy woman officer Sub Lieutenant Riti Singh ... - Times Now
- Will point out targets & designate enemies as ‘Observer’, says Sub Lieutenant Riti Singh
- Indian Navy to deploy Kumudini Tyagi and Riti Singh on Indian Navy warships