|Add a Photo|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
Ricky Cox is a historian, educator, folklorist, and musician in the United States. He taught at Radford University and is now retired. He received the inaugural Appalachian studies teaching award from the Appalachian Studies Association. He co-authored The Water Powered Mills of Floyd County, Virginia and co-edited A Handbook on Appalachia.
Cox said his mother had 10 sisters who were all singers and that he thought "even their sewing machines were singers."
Cox has lived in Floyd County, Virginia. He performed at a Mary Draper Ingles remembrance event at the Wilderness Road Regional Museum in 2019. He reviewed University of Tennessee librarian Richard Saunders' book on Harry Harrison Kroll. He studied at Radford University.
- The Water-Powered Mills of Floyd County, co-author with Frank Webb
- A Handbook to Appalachia: An Introduction to the Region, co-editor (2006)
- Appalachia in the Classroom, contributor
- Encyclopedia of Appalachia, contributor
- The Poetics of Appalachian Space, contributor
- "Appalachian Stories & Songs w/ Ricky Cox". Visit Floyd Virginia.
- "Appalachian Folk Songs with Ricky Cox". November 17, 2014.
- "Story and Song Event with Ricky Cox & Friends - The Floyd Country Store".
- "Events - Wilderness Road Regional Museum". www.wildernessroadregionalmuseum.com.
- Cox, Ricky (November 7, 2012). "Never Been Rich: The Life and Work of a Southern Ruralist Writer, Harry Harrison Kroll (review)". West Virginia History: A Journal of Regional Studies. 6 (2): 91–92. doi:10.1353/wvh.2012.0020 – via Project MUSE.
- "Contributors In This Issue". Appalachian Heritage. 14 (4): 79–80. October 22, 1986. doi:10.1353/aph.1986.0044 – via Project MUSE.
- "Remembrance, Reunion, and Revival | Helen Roseberry". University of North Carolina Press.
- "Journal of the Appalachian Studies Association | Parks Lanier Jr". University of North Carolina Press.
- "Ricky Cox to give lecture on the water-powered mills of Floyd County | New River Valley | roanoke.com". roanoke.com.
- Edwards, Grace Toney; Asbury, Joann Aust; Cox, Ricky L. (2006). A Handbook to Appalachia: An Introduction to the Region. ISBN 9781572334595.
- "Appalachia in the Classroom: Teaching the Region". Ohio University Press • Swallow Press.
- "Table of Contents: The Poetics of Appalachian space /". library.villanova.edu.