Rediscovering Jajam (documentary)
|Directed by||Avinash Maurya, Kriti Gupta|
|Edited by||Sanjay Maharishi|
Rediscovering Jajam (Hindi: रिडिस्कवरिंग जाजम) is a 2018 Indian short documentary about Indian craftsmen sharing their stories of Jajam (a large traditional textile known as a space of gathering for people in villages). It is directed by Avinash Maurya and Kriti Gupta and produced by Rachel Bracken-Singh and Anokhi Museum of Hand Printing. The documentary focuses on the different crafts involved in making the Jajam and the significance of Jajam in the diverse communities and cultures of the Indian state of Rajasthan.
For centuries jajam printing flourished in many regions of Rajasthan. Embedded in the local culture, these large decorative floor spreads had a significant role within each community. Made from thick handloom or mill-made cotton, jajam was naturally dyed and block printed for a multitude of social and cultural activities. But by the mid 20th century, many reasons like migration of large numbers of craftsmen from villages to bigger town and cities, affected the production of the traditional textile.
- Screened at 12th IDSFFK 2019, organised by Kerala State Chalachitra Academy
- Official selection at Ambacht in Beeld Festival, Amsterdam.
- Winner of the Best Promotional Film at 66th National Film Awards, India.
- "Rediscovering Jajam - Documentary". Jajam.in.
- Quazi, Aabshar. "Jaipur Couple's doc on jajam wins national award". Hindustan Times.
- Thomas, Elizabeth. "Story of people's textile". Deccan Chronicle.
- 66th National Film Awards for 2018 announced. "PIB Press Release". pib.gov.in. Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
- Praveen, S.R. "In search of the story behind a lost textile". The Hindu.
- "12th IDSFFK". IDSFFK. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Ambacht in Beeld Festival". Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Catalogue-66th National Film Awards, 2018" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
- "Results-66th National Film Awards, 2018" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 25 April 2020.
This article "Rediscovering Jajam (documentary)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.