|Add a Photo|
|Born||April 27, 1954|
Ray Piscopo (born 27 April 1954) is a Maltese artist and painter.
Ray Piscopo was born in Marsa, Malta, Malta, on 27 April 1954 to Antonio Piscopo and Mary (née Attard). His introduction to the world of art can be traced to the early 1970s, when he was tutored by Antoine Camilleri artist (1922-2005).
Over the years, Piscopo has become renowned for his bold use of colour and evocative subjects, with his art being defined as Realism (arts) by one of Malta's most accomplished poets and philosophers, Professor Oliver Friggieri (1947-2020) . His art has been exhibited in many countries, including in Italy where, in 2008, he placed second during the third edition of the Premio di Arte Figurativa Piero Della Francesca in Arezzo .
Over the years, Piscopo has used his art and notoriety to help further causes he believes in. In 2015, Piscopo represented Malta in a global project by French artist Klaus Guingand, entitled Art Warning the World. The project saw 201 artists from 200 countries come together to raise awareness about the importance of freedom in a video watched by 1.5 million people in 18 days. In 2020, meanwhile, Piscopo donated two paintings to an exhibition by The Shift News, which aimed to celebrate the news site's third anniversary and raise funds for them to continue their work in investigative journalism. In 2005, Piscopo also served as a member of a specially formed Healing Arts Committee through the Foundation for Medical Services, which was entrusted with the embellishment of public spaces within Mater Dei Hospital, Malta's main hospital, with suitable artwork.
Piscopo's latest exhibition, OPUS 20XX, was launched digitally amid the global COVID-19 pandemicHe Ain’t Heavy, 100cm x 70cm, Acrylics on canvas.
Piscopo is married to Mathese (née Grixti), and they have four children together. He is an engineer by profession.
- Fenech, Albert (2020-12-23). "Travel and Leisure News and Reviews from around the World". b-c-ing-u.com. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- "The artist in search of something". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- "L-immaġinazzjoni li tirraġuna: wirja artistika ta' Ray Piscopo - TVM". TVM Maltese. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- "Transforming dark into light". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- "Ray Piscopo". exibart.com (in italiano). Retrieved 2020-11-02.
- "Maltese artist in global project". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- "Art for Free Press: An online showcase". theshiftnews.com. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- "Artistic Design to be chosen for Mater Dei Hospital - The Malta Independent". www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 2020-10-21.
- "Artist Ray Piscopo Launches Digital Exhibition • Malta's Culture Portal". Food • Arts • Fashion. 2020-05-09. Retrieved 2021-01-11.
- Fleri-Soler, Paula (2017-04-16). "Ray Piscopo, Painter". Indulge. Retrieved 2020-10-26.