Randal S. Milch is a corporate executive, strategic advisor and academic, with particular expertise in cybersecurity, national security and corporate governance. As Verizon’s General Counsel and head of public policy, Milch was responsible for developing and articulating the company’s legal, public policy, cybersecurity, national security and government affairs strategies. He has testified before committees of Congress and has organized and led significant public policy campaigns relating to state and federal legislation and critical transactions. Milch has most recently developed, and now directs, the Master of Science in Cybersecurity Risk and Strategy, a cutting-edge academic program provided by NYU School of Law and NYU Tandon School of Engineering that seeks to bridge the gaps between technical and non-technical cybersecurity professionals.
Milch holds a Bachelor of Arts in American History from Yale University (1980) as well as a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from New York University (1985).
Randal Milch began his legal career as a clerk to Clement F. Haynsworth, Jr., Chief Judge Emeritus of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He became a partner at Donovan, Leisure, Newton and Irvine in 1992. He went on to work in telecommunications as counsel to the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of Maryland in 1993. Mr. Milch then served as Associate General Counsel at Bell Atlantic with oversight of state regulatory matters in New York and New England. He supervised the state regulatory litigation, including litigation arising under the Telecommunications Act of 1996, across Bell Atlantic’s northern seven states. In 1999 Milch was responsible for obtaining in New York the first state authorization for a local telephone company’s entry into the long distance market. Milch held a number of positions of increasing responsibility after Bell Atlantic merged with GTE and became Verizon. From 2006 to 2008, he served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Verizon’s global enterprise business. Milch became Verizon’s General Counsel in 2008, and he was also named the Executive Vice President for Public Policy in 2012. As general counsel, he established Verizon's in-house, pro-bono program, where Verizon attorneys can provide legal support for veterans and victims of domestic violence. Milch became Strategic Policy Adviser to Verizon’ Chief Executive Officer and Chairman in 2014 until his retirement in May 2015.
Milch is currently the faculty co-director of the NYU Law - NYU Tandon Master of Science in Cybersecurity Risk and Strategy program. Milch is also the Co-Chair of the NYU Center for Cybersecurity, a Distinguished Fellow at the Center on Law and Security and a Professor of Practice at NYU School of Law. Milch has also taught at Columbia Law School and the University of Colorado Law School.
Milch is a Life Trustee on the Board of Trustees for New York University School of Law. Milch formerly served as the Chair of the Board of Directors for Equal Justice Works and was a member of the boards of The Constitutional Sources Project and the National Veterans Legal Services Program.
Publications & Congressional Testimony
- “Cybersecurity in One Voice: Leveraging CISA Programming to Improve FTC Cybersecurity Enforcement” (with Sam Bieler). Lawfare (December 5, 2019).
- “How Much is Data Security Worth?” (with Almudena Arcelus and Brian Ellman). The SciTech Lawyer (The American Bar Association, Spring 2019).
- “Some Concerns with Privacy as A Framework for Cybersecurity.” In Privacy and Cyber Security on the Books and on the Ground (Pernice & Pohle eds., Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society 2018).
- “First Legislative Step in the IoT Security Battle.” Lawfare (August 4, 2017).
- “Q&A: Privacy and Cybersecurity: The Corporate Perspective” The Analysis Group (Jan. 2017).
- “Cyber Insurance as a Way to Reduce Cyber Risk.” Before the President’s Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity, May 16, 2016.
- Maggie Gousman, John P. Frantz and Randal S. Milch, “Company-Provided Legal Services,” ch. 21 in in Beyond Elite Law: Access to Civil Justice in America (Samuel Estreicher & Joy Radice eds., Cambridge Univ. Press 2016).
- Samuel Estreicher & Randal S. Milch, “Public Service Residency in Lieu of the Third Year of Law School,” ch. 50 in Beyond Elite Law: Access to Civil Justice in America (Samuel Estreicher & Joy Radice eds., Cambridge Univ. Press 2016).
- "From the War Room to the Board Room? Effectively Managing Cyber Risk without Joining the Front Lines," (with Zachary Goldman) The Center on Law and Security, New York University School of Law, June 2015.
- “An Examination of Competition in the Wireless Market.” Before the United States Senate, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, February 26, 2014.
- “Samsung vs. Apple Needs an Obama Intervention.” Commentary, The Wall Street Journal, July 23, 2013.
- “Cut Red Tape Tying up E-Medicine.” Op-ed, Politico, January 24, 2013.
- “The Verizon/Cable Deals: Harmless Collaboration or a Threat to Competition and Consumers?” Before the United States Senate, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, March 21, 2012.
- “Cell Phone Text Messaging Rate Increases and the State of Competition in the Wireless Market.” Before the United States Senate, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, June 16, 2009.
- "Program Overview: NYU Master of Science, Cybersecurity Risk & Strategy". NYU Law and NYU Tandon. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- Colletti, Lawrence. "Verizon's Randy Milch on Being General Counsel and Running the In-House Legal Department". Legal Talk Network. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- IQ, Text. "Randal Milch - Text IQ". www.textiq.com. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- "Verizon Names Randal S. Milch to General Counsel Position". Verizon. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Verizon Strategic Policy Adviser Randy Milch to Retire". PRNewswire.
- Buckley, Sean. "Verizon's EVP and strategic policy advisor Milch to retire; Silliman assumes duties". Fierce Telecom. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Randal S. Milch". NYU Law. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Brelus, Sue. "Analysis Group Welcomes New Affiliates, Announces Consultant Positions". BusinessWire.
- "Cybersecurity in One Voice: Leveraging CISA Programming to Improve FTC Cybersecurity Enforcement". Lawfare. 2019-12-05. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- Arcelus, Almudena; Ellman, Brian; Milch, Randal (2019-03-06). "How Much is Data Security Worth?". American Bar Association: Science and Technology Law.
- "A First Legislative Step in the IoT Security Battle". Lawfare. 2017-08-04. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- "Privacy and Cybersecurity: The Corporate Perspective". www.analysisgroup.com. Retrieved 2020-03-02.
- Estreicher, Samuel; Randal, Milch (2016-04-26). Beyond Elite Law. Cambridge University Press. p. 752. ISBN 978-1107070103. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "Center for Cybersecurity News". NYU Center for Cybersecurity. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Milch, Randal. "Samsung vs. Apple Needs an Obama Intervention". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- Milch, Randy. "Cut red tape tying up e-medicine". POLITICO. Retrieved 2 March 2020.