|Add a Photo|
|Born||May 7, 1974|
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada
Philippe Sébastien Longchamps (French pronunciation: [Help:IPA|ˈfɪlɪp sebastjɛ̃ lɔ̃ʃɑ̃]) is a Canadian-Swedish teacher, author and singer-songwriter originating in Quebec, Canada and recipient of the award "Sweden’s Best Teacher 2020".
- 1 Early life
- 2 Undergraduate studies
- 3 Postgraduate studies
- 4 Becoming a teacher
- 5 Bilingual Montessori School of Lund
- 6 Didactic approach
- 7 Awards and honors
- 8 Music
- 9 Publications
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Born on 7 May 1974, Longchamps grew up in the borough of Rock Forest in the city of Sherbrooke in the predominantly French-speaking province of Quebec in Canada. He received his first schooling at La Maisonnée in Rock Rock Forest, Sherbrooke. His second grade teacher, Laure Plante, received a special mention in Longchamps's acceptance speech upon receiving his teaching award in 2020. When Longchamps turned 11 he was sent to a French-speaking, all-boys, Catholic Boarding School approximately 30 km from his childhood home on the shores of Lake Massawippi
Cégep de Sherbrooke - from 1991
University of Pittsburgh: Semester at Sea - spent six months at sea around the world onboard the SS. Universe as part of the Semester at Sea having the benefit of acquiring tuition from certain guest lecturers such as Peter Arnett, Daniel Everett and James W Long.
Bishop’s University - BA in History - from 1993
El Colegio de México - from 1999
Université du Québec à Montréal / UQAM (Canada) - Upon finishing his research in Mexico City, Longchamps returned to Québec to complete his Master of Arts degree in history at Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM). His main area of study endeavoring to analyse the strategies of the Christian Democratic Party (Chile)|Chilean Christian Democratic Party as an opposition party facing Popular Unity Political Alliance during the three years preceding the coup d’état on the 11th of September 1973. He completed his Thesis under the supervision of the Chilean Historian and Professor at UQÀM, Dr. José Del Pozo, in Santiago de Chile and Valparaíso, Chile, in 2001
Semester at Sea - As part of the of his undergraduate studies, and the Semester at Sea, Longchamps visited Japan, China, India, Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and many more including a field study in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Emigrating to Sweden - In July 2002 he decided to emigrate to Sweden, an event described in the University paper Actualités UQÀM as being due to "meeting his future wife, at UQÀM while finishing his Master's Degree in History".
Becoming a teacher
Longchamps first held a teaching position in Sweden at Medborgarskolan in Malmö and Lund where he taught French and English Conversation between 2002 and 2003, and after that at Modersmålscentrum until 2004 after which he assured his current position at Bilingual Montessori School of Lund where he has taught since, except for a three-and-a-half-year period further north in Sweden where he worked at Malung-Sälen Gymnasieskola and malungs Centralskola.
Longchamps completed a BA in Education for Teaching in Compulsory School, Later Years at Malmö University in 2015.
Bilingual Montessori School of Lund
Transdisciplinary and active
Longchamps uses a variety of methods and approaches in his teaching, all to increase students' understanding and internalisation of the central content of the subjects. Longchamps's Interdisciplinarity|interdisciplinary work, through collaborations with his organisation's other teachers, but also between his own subjects, initiates, develops, implements, evaluates and improves a multidisciplinary approach where the subjects interact. He held a lecture at Seoul National University of Education, South Korea, on the 18th October 2019, where he explained his interdisciplinary teaching methodology in the subjects of History, Geography and Technology. The Active Learning Method was used by Longchamps after the discovery of the South Korean pedagogical material 4DFrame, which he first encountered at Vattenhallen Science Center in Lund, Sweden.
Critically thinking and chronological
chronological uses an approach that goes from prehistory - history - present - future. This was a main topic at a talk at Stockholm Museum of Science and Technology on the 12th of December 2019 and of his Article in the proceedings of the International Conference on the Advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics 2020 “Borderless Connectivity”.
Awards and honors
Sweden’s Best Teacher 2020
Educator Award 2019, South Korea
On 19 October 2019, Longchamps received an Educator Award at the Seoul National University of Education from Chungwon Cho, President of the Foundation for the Advancement of STEAM fields|STEAM and chairman of the Ministry of Education, Science and South Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology for his great contribution and dedication on promoting STEAM education internationally.
Acknowledgement Award 2002, Chile
Longchamps received a medal of acknowledgement from the Vice-President of Chamber of Deputies of Chile in 2002 for his research on the Attitude of the Christian Democratic Party of Chile towards Salvador Allende between 1970 and 1973.
Extensive media coverage has followed in the wake of receiving the Sweden's best Teacher Award in Sweden 2020 both nationally and internationally, specifically extensive reporting has occurred in Longchamps's native Canada, and, for example, in an interview with Paul Arcand. According the website Trendolizer, the article regarding Philippe Longchamps winning the Best Teacher in Sweden 2020 Award was the “most trending news in Canada” on the 2nd of June 2020.
Longchamps is the founder and frontman of Atlas Volt an independent music duo formed in Malmö, Sweden in 2012. The duo was created as a collaboration between Longchamps and British guitarist and sound engineer Adam Hansen-Chambers. Their song, Shine Your Own Light, became number one on the Swedish National Public Radio chart for unsigned artists after spending five weeks in the top ten chart of P3-Star radio show in 2013. The duo released an EP in 2013, an LP in 2015 and a few singles in 2020.
- Longchamps, P. “Multilingual Immersion in Education for a Multidimensional Conceptualization of Knowledge: A Case Study of Bilingual Montessori School of Lund” (2015) Malmö University Electronic Publishing
- Longchamps, P. “Les stratégies de l’opposition chilienne face à Salvador Allende de 1970 à 1973” (2004), p. 189–203 Bulletin d’histoire politique, volume 12, numéro 2
- Longchamps, P. & Graham, C. “Innovation in convergence education; 4DFrame as a pedagogical tool for holistic active learning A case study from Bilingual Montessori School of Lund, Sweden”, In SH. Paik, KH. Cho, M. Ha, & YH. Kim (Ed.), International Conference on the Advancement of STEAM 2020: Borderless Connectivity, pp. 7-14, (2020) ICAS 2020 Borderless Connectivity ISSN 2733-7065 - (As part of partaking in the first online International Conference for the Advancement of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics)
- Longchamps, P. “L'attitude du parti de la Démocratie chrétienne face au régime de Salvador Allende au Chili entre 1970 et 1973”. (2002) Université du Québec à Montréal (Mémoire de maîtrise). 212p.
- "Handelskammaren". Mynewsdesk.
- http://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine/details/52327/3802258?docsearchtext=philippe%20longchamps, p.A2
- Nash, James (2010-01-07). "Wiltonian spends 'Semester at Sea'". Wilton Villager. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2020-07-23
- Long, James W. (1978). The German-Russians: A Bibliography of Russian Materials with Introductory Essay, Annotations, and Locations of Materials in Major American and Soviet Libraries. ISBN 9780874362824.
- "Répertoire des professeurs | UQAM". Répertoire des professeurs.
- "Alumni Stories". Semester At Sea.
- "Le diplômé Philippe Longchamps, enseignant de l'année en Suède | UQAM". Actualités UQAM.
- "La foi sans crédo religieux". La Tribune. March 15, 2015.
- "L'enseignant suédois de l'année est sherbrookois". La Tribune. May 30, 2020.
- "Här uppfinner de historien på nytt". Ämnesläraren – Svenska, språk mm.
- "3 frågor till…". skolvarlden.se.
- "Philippe Longchamps är Sveriges bästa lärare 2020". May 26, 2020.
- ICAS 2020, Borderless Connectivity, ISSN 2733-7065
- "The Great JOURNAL DE MONTRÉAL Adventure". Le Journal de Montréal. Archived from the original on 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
This article "Philippe Longchamps" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.