|Born||February 21, 1936|
Orazio Svelto (February 21, 1936) is an Italian Physicist active in the fields of Lasers and Photonics. He has made pioneering researches in the fields of solid-state lasers and of ultrashort laser pulses. He is the inventor of the hollow-fiber compressor, commonly used in several laboratories dealing with attosecond science.
Orazio Svelto graduated in nuclear engineering in 1960 at Politecnico di Milano. From 1961 to 1963 he made researches on solid-state lasers at Stanford University. From 1963 to 1975 he was a researcher of the Italian National Research Council (CNR) at the Physics Institute of Politecnico di Milano. From 1976 to 2010 he was appointed as a full professor of Physics at the same Politecnico di Milano. He retired in 2010 and was named Emeritus Professor from the Italian Minister for the Instruction, University and Research. From 1976 to 2000 he was the Director of the Centre for Quantum Electronics and Electronic Instrumentation of the CNR at Politecnico di Milano.
1998 Quantum Electronics and Optics Prize of the European Physical Society
2000 ITALGAS Prize for Research and Technological Innovation
2005 “Medaglia d’Oro ai Benemeriti della Scuola, della Cultura e dell’Arte” from the President of the Italian Republic
2005 Charles H. Townes Award of the Optical Society of America (now Optica)
2011 Julius Springer Prize for Applied Physic
• Orazio Svelto, Principles of Lasers, Springer - New York, 5th Ed. (2010) ISBN 978-1-4419-1301-2. In its several editions, the book has been also translated into Russian, Chinese, Greek, and Farsi languages.
• O. Svelto, S. De Silvestri, G. Denardo, (Editors), Ultrafast Phenomena in Spectroscopy, Plenum Press - New York (1996) ISBN 0-306-45481-5
• Maurizio Lontano, Gérard Mourou, Orazio Svelto, Toshiki Tajima, (Editors) Superstrong Fields in Plasmas, American Institute of Physics (2002) ISBN 0-7354-0057-1
• P. Laporta, S. De Silvestri, V. Magni, O. Svelto, "Diode-pumped CW Bulk Er:Yb:Glass Laser", Optics Letters, 16, 1952-1954 (1991) https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.16.001952
• M. Nisoli, S. De Silvestri, O. Svelto, "Generation of High Energy 10 fs Pulses by a New Pulse Compression Technique”, Appl. Phys. Letters, 68, 2793-2795 (1996) https://doi.org/10.1063/1.116609
• M. Nisoli, S. De Silvestri, O. Svelto, R. Szipöcs, K. Ferencz, Ch. Spielmann, S. Sartania, F. Krausz “Compression of High Energy Laser Pulses below 5 fs”, Optics Letters, 22, 522-524 (1997) https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.22.00052
This article "Orazio Svelto" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.