|Industry||App, and website|
OpenSnow is a company, app, and website based in Boulder, Colorado that specializes in snow forecasting and ski reports, historical snow reports, timelapse mountain cams, as well as editorial coverage of the sport of skiing and snowboarding. OpenSnow.com is now ranked 32,468 in the US and 58,003 in the world in terms of popularity compared to other websites.
Available on iOS and Android, OpenSnow is free to use. Their All-Access subscription includes ad-free, longer-range forecasts, snow alerts for upcoming powder days, and 24-hour access to the mountain cams from ski resorts.
During the winter, OpenSnow's forecasters write "Daily Snow" updates that provide commentary on where to find the best snow conditions. This includes taking weather models and breaking them down to individual ski regions. The app and website also include automated mountain-specific forecasts, cams, and snow reports. OpenSnow currently has approximately 14 employees.
OpenSnow was founded in 2011 by Joel Gratz and Andrew Murray to provide local commentary and automated data to skiers and riders to help them find the deepest powder. It now reaches more than reach more than 3 million people around the world.
In 2016, OpenSnow launched OpenSummit to provide hourly weather forecasts for thousands of mountain locations across the United States. OpenSummit displays stoplight-colored risks for three factors: lightning, precipitation, and wind. Those are forecasted hourly as many as five days out. Users have radars at their fingertips as well .
In the media
- Competitive Intelligence, Alexa", Retrieved 4/28/2020
- New York Times, 8 Ski Apps, Ready for Winter", Retrieved 11/26/2019
- Powder Magazine, The Storm Troopers at OpenSnow", Retrieved 02/3/2014
- Cloudnine Weather, Careers", Retrieved 04/15/2020
- Inc., This Founder Quit His Job to Help Skiers Find Fresh Snow.", Retrieved 03/1/2018
- Summit Daily, OpenSnow launches ‘OpenSummit’", Retrieved 05/24/2019
- The Gazette, New app OpenSummit provides hikers with detailed weather reports for Colorado mountains’", Retrieved 07/11/2020
- OpenSnow on Facebook
- OpenSnow on Instagram
- OpenSnow on Twitter
- on 's channelYouTube
- OpenSnow – Apps on Google Play
- OpenSnow LinkedIn page
- OpenSnow on the App Store
- OpenSnow | Crunchbase
- OpenSnow.com expert Joel Gratz shares weather tips
- Open Snow | Vail Valley Partnership
- Colorado Snow Forecast | OpenSnow's Joel Gratz | VisitBreck
- OpenSnow | YourStack