Offshore Model Racing Association
|Sport||Radio controlled racing|
|Affiliation||Union Internationale Motonautique|
The Offshore Model Racing Association (or OMRA, promoted as Offshore Model Racing) is a non-profit organisation and race series that promotes the construction and racing of offshore radio controlled boats in the United Kingdom. The first race was held in 1969 but the association did not adopt the OMRA name until 1971.
OMRA organises national racing events for various classes with boats designed for offshore conditions. Race classes range from small Nitro powered boats to large scale petrol and electric powered boats. The racing season typically begins in April and ends in October with key events taking place at Cowes, Southampton Boat Show and Penzance. OMRA have also held races in Guernsey,  Torquay and Bristol Docks.
In 2020, OMRA became a member of Union Internationale Motonautique (UIM) in the radio-controlled boat category to operate several races under UIM Rules.
Steve Curtis MBE of the Miss GEICO powerboat team serves as an ambassador to OMRA.
Introduction of digital timing and X-Class for 2019 race season
For 48 years since its inception in 1971, OMRA had run races with traditional lap counting using a mechanical 'Tally counter'. In 2019 the organisation introduced a wireless digital system built on the XBee 868Mhz wireless Universal serial bus system. The equipment allowed OMRA to run accurately timed and counted races. A 9-metre floating bridge was constructed for boats to race through. Each boat carries a unique transponder with an infrared emitter mounted on the deck. This is in compliance with UIM Offshore Racing Rules for the requirement to use digital timing instead of Tally counters.
Another introduction for the 2019 series was an electric motor class, whereas there had only been petrol and nitro boats allowed up until that point. The new race class would be known as X-Class.
- "Welcome to Cowes Harbour Commission". www.cowesharbourcommission.co.uk.
- "Model Powerboat Racing Heads to Cowes for the First Time". 26 September 2018.
- https://maxcoomer.zenfolio.com/f91895124 OMRA Model Powerboat Race 2015
- FORUM, DJI. "Offshore Model Racing Association". forum.dji.com.
- "Tor Bay Harbour - Offshore Model Powerboat Race". www.tor-bay-harbour.co.uk.
- https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/omra-news/4652 STEWART RAE reports on the Chase Boat Race at Torquay, September 2008
- https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/omra/551 Omra By John Kerr & Stewart Rae
- https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/offshore-model-racing-news-july-2010/7070 Offshore Model Racing News - A round-up of what is happening in 2010
- "Union internationale motonautique". www.uim.sport.
- "bpbaracing.com – Knowledge Fairness Integrity Enthusiasm Transparency".
- Curtis, Steve (20 June 2019). "OMRA Proud to Announce Steve Curtis as Ambassador".
- "Contact OMRA - OMRA". omra.co.uk.
- https://www.uim.sport/Documents/Document/2020%20Pleasure%20Navigation%20rulebook%20-%20published%20on%2020.12.19%20-%20red%20text%20only.pdf UIM Pleasure Navigation Rule Book 2020
- Offshore Model Racing Association official website
- Offshore Model Racing Association on Facebook
- MPBA Website
This article "Offshore Model Racing Association" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.