|Add a Photo|
|Born||1936 (age 85–86)|
|Citizenship||India/United States of America|
|Awards||Doctorate of Peace award (2019)|
Early life and education
Originally from Bombay, India, Doshi completed his undergraduate studies at the College of Engineering, Pune, and received his Bachelors of Engineering degree from the L.D. Engineering College of Gujarat University, before moving to the U.S. in 1958. In the U.S., Doshi attended University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, to complete his Master’s in electrical engineering and then UCLA for his PhD program.
In 1999, Doshi with his wife, Pratima Doshi endowed the Doshi Chair of Indian History at UCLA and founded the Sardar Patel Award. In 2006, Doshi endowed a professorship for Indic traditions at Loyola Marymount University (LMU) which also gives a Bridgebuilder Award annually, jointly with Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts and the Department of Theological Studies. He is also a member of the LMU Advisory Board since 2009, the board of directors of South Asian Studies Association and on the board of directors of the Indic Foundation.
In 2012, Doshi established the Haridas Chaudhuri Chair in Indian Philosophies and Cultures and a Doshi professorship in Asian Art at California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS). In 2019, he established a chair on water and sanitation research, named after his parents, Kanchan and Harilal Doshi, at the Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar.
In 2019, Doshi received the Doctorate of Peace award from Maharishi University of Management in Iowa.
In the media
- "Navin Doshi". Nalanda International.
- Śāstrī, Yajñeśvara Sadāśiva; Malek, Intaj; Shastri, Sunanda Y. (2006). In Quest of Peace: Indian Culture Shows the Path. Bharatiya Kala Prakashan. ISBN 978-81-8090-109-6. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- News, Institute. "Kanchan & Harilal Doshi Chair established at IITGN | IITGN News". news.iitgn.ac.in. Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- "Chairs of Indian studies or seats of right-wing agenda?". Rediff. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- Prakash, Sudha (27 July 2018). "'Nine Jewels of Gujarat' Honored with Lifetime Achievement Awards". India West.
- Sheth, Pravin N. (2001). Indians in America: one stream, two waves, three generations. Rawat Publications.
- Goldberg, Philip (2010). American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West. Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale. ISBN 978-0-307-71961-4. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- "Doshi Family Bridgebuilder Award". LMU. Loyola Marymount University.
- "Board Members 2018". SASA. South Asian Studies Association.
- "Board of Directors". Indic. Indic Foundation.
- Staff Reporter. "Navin Doshi Establishes Endowment for New CIIS Center". India West.
- "IIT Gandhinagar To Collaborate With Overseas Indians To Advance India's Higher Education Stature Globally". BW Education. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- Mirpuri, Sonam. "Navin Doshi Gets Doctorate of Peace Award". Indian Journal. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Navin Doshi on linkedin
- Navin Doshi - Nalanda International
- Navin Doshi - NCN
- Light with No Shadow By Navin Doshi - Balboa Press
- Navin Doshi (Author of Light with No Shadow) - Goodreads
- Books by Navin Doshi - Exotic India
- Navin Doshi | The Nalanda Journal
- Doshi Family Bridgebuilder Award - Loyola Marymount
- Buy Economics and Nature: Essays in Balance ... - Amazon.in