|Born||November 25, 1967|
Queens New York
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Organization||Pass The Torch Distribution|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
Michael Deering (born November 25, 1967, Queens, New York), popularly known as Mikey D and The Real Mikey D, is an American entrepreneur and hip-hop artist. He is the CEO and co-founder of Pass The Torch, a platform that aims at unifying the music community.
Deering is a renowned New York Battle Rapper since the ’80s and was the rap partner of young James Todd Smith aka LL Cool J. Deering is the recipient of the 1988 New Music Seminar Award, 1995 Ascap Rhythm, and Soul Award and has received several honorary recognitions throughout his career.
Deering has been featured in several media outlets including, The US News, NY Weekly, Portland News, LA Wire, and others.
Early life and education
Deering was born on November 25, 1967, in Queens, New York. Deering’s parents got divorced when he was very young. Deering was raised by his grandparents Jerome and Betty Deering in Laurelton Queens, New York. He attended PS 37 in Queens from kindergarten to the 6th grade. He then attended JHS 231 in Queens and then Springfield Gardens High School.
Deering was inclined towards the hip-hop scene since his adolescence.
Deering is the CEO and founder of Pass The Torch amidst the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, along with Eric “Big Vegg” Sullivan (photographer, radio personality), Ladi Miz (rapper), Cal Cutter (graphic designer), Pritt Kalsi (filmmaker), Geechie Dan (radio personality and in partnership with Rob Schwartz (founder of WHO? MAG Multimedia).
The aim behind the foundation of Pass The Torch was to create such a platform that bridges the generation gap between hip-hop artists. The company provides artists the platform to debate and unite their passion for hip-hop.
Deering was a member of Queens New York-based LA Posse and Hip Hop group Main Source. He worked alongside producer Paul C Mckasty and DJ Jonny Quest. Deering also participated in the Battle For World Supremacy MC Battle In 1988.
Deering works at Pepsi at Hudson Valley as a full-time employee, and after-hours dedicates his time to the hip-hop scene. Pass The Torch’s brand Ep, Talkin That SHHHH! was released on September 11, 2020.
- 1988 New Music Seminar Champion
- 1995 Ascap Rhythm and Soul award for writers credits on Madonna Human Nature
- Triple Platinum plaque for writers credit on Madonna “Bedtime Stories” album
- Personal Life
- Deering is the son of Linda Deering and Victor Fisher.
In the media
- "Pass the Torch Unites Hip-Hop Artists and Audiences For the Greater Good". Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- "Michael Deering Bridges Generations with Pass the Torch". Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- "Pass the Torch Educating and Uniting People through Civil Discussions". Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- "Mikey D of Pass the Torch Distribution to Release First EP". Retrieved 27 November 2020.