|Born||1997 (age 25–26)|
Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Education||B. Tech in Computer Science|
|Alma mater||ABES Engineering College, Ghaziabad|
|Occupation||Observer (Airborne Tactician) in the helicopter fleet|
|Known for||First of 2 airborne combatant ladies operating from Indian warships|
Sub Lieutenant (SLt) Kumudini Tyagi is one of the first two ladies, along with SLt Riti Singh, to have earned their wings for operating from Indian Navy warships.
Kumudini Tyagi was born in Ghaziabad, in 1997 to Pravesh Kumar Tyagi and Reena Tyagi. The family hails from Kharkhoda, Meerut, but moved to Ghaziabad in 1983. Her grandfather, Suresh Chand Tyagi was a sub-inspector with the Uttar Pradesh Police, and her father, Pravesh runs a security agency. Kumudini's grandmother's name is Rajesh Kumari Tyagi. She has a younger brother, Apoorva Tyagi, who has also cleared the written examination of the combined defence services. The family lives in Sanjay Nagar Sector-23, Ghaziabad.
Kumudini completed her ICSE from St. Paul's Academy, Rajnagar, and her ISC from Ch.Chhabil Dass Public School. She earned her Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science from ABES Engineering College while topping the college. Passionate about joining the defence forces, she was commissioned into the Navy in December 2018, even though she had a very lucrative alternate job offer. Her family describes her as a studious, but fit girl.
Kumudini completed the 22nd Short Service Commission Observer Course from Southern Naval Command, Kochi. While in training, she stood first among the ladies in the Inter Squadron Novices X-Country Championship, 2019, clocking 46 min 29 sec in the 8Km run.
On September 21, 2020, Kumudini was inducted as an Observer (Airborne Tactician) in the helicopter fleet of the Indian Navy. Rear Admiral Antony George, Chief Staff Officer (Training), presiding over the ceremony, highlighted it as a landmark occasion. Ajay Shankar Pandey, district magistrate of Ghaziabad, commented that the district of Ghaziabad plan a felicitation for her upon return form duty. Her family was unable to attend the historic occasion due to the COVID-19 situation.
Her training includes Air Navigation, Flying Procedure, Air Warfare, Anti-Submarine Warfare. She is likely to fly in the MH-60R Seahawk Her deployments are expected to be on frontline Indian Navy warships including long duration missions.
- "In a first, 2 women officers to operate helicopters from Indian Navy warships". Hindustan Times. 2020-09-21. Retrieved 2020-09-22.
- "गाजियाबाद की कुमुदिनी त्यागी ने रचा इतिहास, पहली बार किसी महिला की युद्धपोत पर हुई तैनाती". Dainik Jagran (in हिन्दी). Retrieved 2020-09-22.
- "Sub Lieutenant Kumudini Tyagi: The engineer who chose the ocean over office". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 2020-09-23.
- "नौसेना अफसर के पिता बोलेः बेटी पर नाज, मेरे लिए जिंदगी का सबसे खुशी का दिन". Amar Ujala (in हिन्दी). Retrieved 2020-09-22.
- "2 महिला अफसरों को पहली बार वॉरशिप पर तैनात करेगी नौसेना, ये हेलिकॉप्टरों को ऑपरेट करेंगी; राफेल को भी पहली महिला पायलट जल्द मिलेगी". Dainik Bhaskar (in हिन्दी). 2020-09-21. Retrieved 2020-09-22.
- "Kumudini Tyagi". Twitter. Retrieved 2020-09-23.
- "Women Officers in Helicopter Stream of Indian Navy". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 2020-09-23.
- "Meet The Navy's First Women Combat Aviators To Be Deployed On Warships". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2020-09-22.
- "2 women officers to operate choppers from warships". Rediff. Retrieved 2020-09-23.
This article "Kumudini Tyagi" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.