Justus K. Jillson
Justus K. Jillson
|Add a Photo|
Justus Kendall Jillson
November 17, 1839
Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA
|Died||December 9, 1881 (aged 42)|
Hampden County, Massachusetts, USA
|Resting place||Warwick Cemetery|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Known for||First State Superintendent of Education in South Carolina|
|Spouse(s)||Ellen Amelia Gates Jillson|
|Parent(s)||Sylvester Weeks Jillson, Mary Kendall Jillson|
Justus Kendall Jillson was a teacher, state legislator, and the first State Superintendent of Education in South Carolina. He moved from Massachusetts to South Carolina in 1866 to teach for the Freedmen's Bureau. He served four terms from 1868 until 1876 as state superintent of education. He reportedly struggled with corruption in state government. He also served as a state senator and chaired the education committee. He returned to Massachusetts at the end of the Reconstruction era.
He issued the first annual report to the Governor of South Carolina and state legislature.
His efforts at integration included a deaf school. Its leaders resigned instead of accepting African American deaf students.
The University of South Carolina libraries have a photo of him.
- Former State Superintendents of Education South Carolina Department of Education
- Chaddock, Katherine Reynolds (October 8, 2017). "Uncompromising Activist: Richard Greener, First Black Graduate of Harvard College". JHU Press – via Google Books.
- "USC Education Report". The College. June 18, 1957 – via Google Books.
- Education, South Carolina State Dept of (June 18, 1967). "Annual Report of the State Superintendent of Education of the State of South Carolina". State Superintendent of Education of the State of South Carolina. – via Google Books.
- PADDEN, Carol; Humphries, Tom; Padden, Carol (June 30, 2009). "Inside Deaf Culture". Harvard University Press – via Google Books.
- Justus Kendall Jillson
- Justus Kendall Jillson (1839-1881) - Find A Grave Memorial
- Justus K. Jillson - South Carolina Department of Education
- Entrepreneurs in the Southern Upcountry: Commercial Culture
- Congressional Record: Proceedings and Debates
This article "Justus K. Jillson" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.