|Add a Photo|
|Born||1990 (age 30–31)|
|Citizenship||United States of America/Vietnam|
|Alma mater||Rhode Island School of Design|
Julien Nguyen is a Vietnamese American Painter.
Early life and education
Nguyen was born in Washington D.C. in 1990 . He grew up in Manhattan Beach, California and graduated from Mira Costa High School. Nguyen lives and works in Los Angeles. Nguyen attended the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence until 2012 and the Städelschule in Frankfurt, Germany until 2015 .
Career and work
Nguyen's work is inspired by the history of painting, and deals with his own identity as a gay Vietnamese man. Nguyen works in oil, encaustic, and silverpoint and employs classical techniques. He has been called "the most feted painter of his generation."
Nguyen has mounted solo exhibitions at the The Swiss Institute Contemporary Art in New York , The Contemporary Arts Center in Cincinnati, Stuart Shave/Modern Art in London, Neue Alte Brucke in Frankfurt , The Kunstverein München in Germany , and his work has been included in group shows at the Museum für Moderne Kunst in Frankfurt , and Matthew Marks Gallery in Los Angeles and in New York City. In 2017, Nguyen's work was selected for the Whitney Biennial and one of the paintings Nguyen completed for the exhibition was acquired by the museum for its permanent collection. In 2019, Nguyen was included in the Forbes 30 under 30 list in the Art & Style section. In 2020, Nguyen was included in Cultured Magazine's 30 under 35 list of young artists. His work has been reviewed in Artforum, Frieze Magazine, and Flash Art Magazine.
Nguyen is represented by Matthew Marks Gallery. In 2020, he will have his first solo exhibition at the Gallery's New York City space.
In the media
- ""Ex Forti Dulcedo" Julien Nguyen". Modern Art/Stuart Shave. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Collier, Josie. "Costa Alum Julien Nguyen is inducted into Forbes 30 under 30 magazine". La Vista. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Kissick, Dean. "JULIEN NGUYEN MODELS THE 21ST CENTURY MASTER". Cultured Magazine. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- ""Evil In the Defense of the Good," Julien Nguyen". Swiss Institute New York.
- "Matthew Marks Artsy artist page Julien Nguyen". Artsy. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Freeman, Nate. "Whitney Acquires 32 Works from 2017 Biennial, Including Samara Golden and Raúl de Nieves Pieces". Artnews.
- "Forbes 30 under 30 Art & Style". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Hatfield, Zach. "Openings: Julien Nguyen". Artforum.
- Chu, Mimi. "frieze". Frieze Magazine. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- "Julien Nguyen: Depths Plumbed". Flash Art Magazine. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Freeman, Nate. "Wet Paint: Jeff Koons Goes Missing in Manhattan, Gagosian Sells Many $10 Million Mardens, & More Juicy Art-World Gossip". Artnet News. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Julien Nguyen - 5 Artworks, Bio & Shows on Artsy
- Julien Nguyen at Modern Art – Art Viewer
- Julien Nguyen - Freedman Fitzpatrick
- Julien Nguyen - Forbes
- The Gospel According to Julien Nguyen | Frieze
- Julien Nguyen (Contemporary Art Daily)
- Julien Nguyen Models the 21st Century Master | Culturedmag
- Julien Nguyen - Contemporary Arts Center
- Julien Nguyen | Artist Profile with Bio - MutualArt
This article "Julien Nguyen" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.