|Birth name||Juan Ignacio Álava Navarro|
|Also known as||"El trovador de los humildes"|
|Born||3 June 1939|
|Died||January 25, 2016|
Juan Ignacio Álava Navarro (Yaguachi, Guayas Province|Guayas, Ecuador; June 3 of 1939 - New York City|New York, United States; January 25 of 2016) was an Ecuadorian singer, guitarist and composer of Bolero|boleros.
He was born on July 3, 1995 in Yaguachi, Guayas Province. He adopted the affection for music from his father who was a guitarist. He would begin to enter music as a guitarist in a musical group made up of his sisters, then he was a producer in an Ecuadorian music program on "Radio Cristal" in Guayaquil, managing to record his first record materials with the help of his brother Miguel “Miguelón” Álava, in that period appeared singing in some segments of Radio Cristal, managing to capture the attention of the Feraud Guzmán company, Fediscos, for which he was invited on Onix discs with which he managed to record his first EP that had six singles including the bolero "Besos inolvidables" by the Puerto Rican composer Emilio Quiñónes and the corrido "Rumbo al sur" by Mexican composer Francisco Duval.
His most successful single was the Pasillo "Comprende que te quiero", which was followed by "Resignación", "Mi linda mamita" and "Mi pobre vida" which allowed him to have international recognition. in the seventies and eighties, managing to become one of the leading singers of the rock style.
On December 19, 1972, he was the winner in a musical duel against the singer Kike Vega.
- On March 24, 2016, the National Assembly (Ecuador)|National Assembly of Ecuador awarded him the medal Vicente Rocafuerte for Cultural Merit.
In the media
- "Juan Alava". Discogs (in español). Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- Enero, 27 De; 2016 - 07h36 (2016-01-27). "Muere cantante ecuatoriano Juan Álava". El Universo. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- "Ministra de Cultura y Patrimonio recibe a los familiares de Juan Álava Navarro, el trovador de los humildes – Ministerio de Cultura y Patrimonio". www.culturaypatrimonio.gob.ec. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- Cotopaxi, Tribuno Extra (2016-01-27). "CANTANTE JUAN ÁLAVA FALLECIÓ AYER EN LA CIUDAD DE NEW YORK ~ El Cotopaxense EC". CANTANTE JUAN ÁLAVA FALLECIÓ AYER EN LA CIUDAD DE NEW YORK ~ El Cotopaxense EC. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- Juan Alava – Besos Inolvidables (1974, Vinyl) (in español), retrieved 2021-04-07
- Hora, Diario La. "Yaguachi llora muerte de Juan Álava, 'el trovador de los humildes' (video) - La Hora". La Hora Noticias de Ecuador, sus provincias y el mundo (in español). Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- JUAN ALAVA Comprende que te quiero (in español), retrieved 2021-04-07
- Los15grandesec (2016-01-27). "Hasta siempre al "trovador de los humildes" Juan Alava". los15grandesec (in español). Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- "Asamblea Nacional reconoce con medalla "Vicente Rocafuerte" a cantautor Juan Álava (Asamblea Nacional del Ecuador)". article.wn.com. Retrieved 2021-04-07.