|Add a Photo|
|Born||May 9, 1943|
Eptakomi, Northern Cyprus
John Kiki (born 9 May 1943) is an English figurative painter with deep roots in the Mediterranean.
Kiki was born in the village of Eptakomi in Northern Cyprus, but moved to London with his family in 1943. He attended Camberwell College of Arts (1960–1964), training under Robert Medley and Frank Auerbach. After receiving his DipAD he went, at Auerbach's suggestion, to the Royal Academy Schools (1964–1967) for his Post-Graduate Certificate.
He then moved to Great Yarmouth and established his studio. He was married in 1970 to Mary Papalouca. After working in the restaurant business for several years (1973–1979) he then returned to full-time painting and exhibiting, and developed his distinctive style that is still evolving. He has exhibited widely, including in New York, Barbican, Hayward Gallery, Serpentine Gallery, Germany, Zagreb, Innsbruck and Zurich, as well as in many local Norfolk galleries.
His work has roots in his Greek Cypriot background and his subject matter reflects the twin poles of Greek Mythology and Seaside Mythology. He has painted many versions of the Infanta motif from Velásquez's painting Las Meninas
Paintings are held in public collections, including: Saatchi Collection, London; Castle Museum and Art Gallery, Norwich; National Museum Wales, Cardiff; Chantrey Bequest, London.
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2020 Galerie WOS, Special Exhibition ‘John Kiki' by Art Innsbruck
- 2019 Galerie WOS, Luxembourg
- 2019 Galerie WOS, Art Salzburg
- 2019 Galerie Wahrenberger, Art Lausanne
- 2018 Galerie Wahrenberger, Art Luxembourg
- 2018 Galerie Wahrenberger; Art Zürich
- 2017 Galerie Wahrenberger; Art Innsbruck
- 2016 Merchant House Gallery, Lowestoft
- 2016 Galerie Wahrenberger; Art Innsbruck
- 2013 GYPT & Skippings Gallery, Gt. Yarmouth
- 2012 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zurich
- 2007 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zürich
- 2006 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zurich
- 2005 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zürich
- 2004 St Giles St Gallery, Norwich
- 2004 Lang Galleries, London
- 2003 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zurich
- 2003 Peter Gwyther, Cambridge
- 2003 Chappel Galleries, Colchester
- 2001 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zurich
- 2000 Galerie Wahrenberger, Zurich
- 1989 Minories Gallery, Colchester
- 1989 The Norwich Gallery, Norwich
- 1986 Viriamu Jones Gallery, University College, Cardiff.
- 1974 Thackeray Gallery, London
- 1973 Thackeray Gallery, London
- 1972 Student Gallery, Royal Academy, London
- Keith Roberts (2018) John Kiki: Fifty Years in the Figurative Fold 192pp. Selwyn Taylor Limited. ISBN 978-1-5272-1986-1
- Keith Patrick (1996) The Carmina Burana Experience. [Catalogue of an exhibition at Barbican Centre, 26 Nov 1996 – 5 Jan 1997]. London: Art Esprit Ltd.
- Keith Patrick (1993) John Kiki. London: Imprimis Editions Limited. ISBN 978-0-9516520-1-5.
- Andrew Lambirth (2014) John Kiki: Myths and Goddesses [Catalogue of an exhibition at Art Space Gallery, 7 Feb – 7 Mar 2014]. London: Art Space Gallery. ISBN 978-0-9576507-2-5
- Andrew Lambirth (2014) "Four artists you ought to know — and a famous one you can know better". The Spectator, 22 February 2014.
- Ian Collins (1991) "Paintings with a touch of Carnival". Eastern Daily Press, 1 July 1991.
- Keith Roberts (2020) John Kiki: The Infanta Paintings 71pp. Selwyn Taylor Limited. ISBN 978-1-5272-5395-7.
- Mandell's Gallery
- John Kiki - Gallery Wahrenberger
- John Kiki Paintings for Sale | John Kiki Art Value Price Guide
- Norwich exhibition celebrates artist John Kiki’s 50 years of painting
- John KIKI (1943) : Auction sales, auction prices, indices
- John Kiki | Art Auction Results - MutualArt
- John Kiki Exhibition - Mandell's Gallery
- John Kiki - Artist, Fine Art Prices, Auction Records for John Kiki
- John Kiki | artnet
- Nessus and the Ladies by John Kiki - Art Fund