Jevta Savić Čotrić
Jevta Savić Čotrić
|Add a Photo|
Jevta Savić Čotrić (Serbian Cyrillic: Јевта Савић-Чотрић; Tršić around 1767 - Šabac, 1821) was a Serbian politician, national leader and diplomat from the time of the First Serbian Uprising and Second Serbian Uprising.He was a well-educated older cousin of Vuk Karadžić and with him, Vuk Karadžić "began to study books".
In 1807 he was elected a member of the Governing Council in Belgrade. Ivan Jugović opened the nucleus of what eventually became the Grandes écoles (Velika škola) in the fledgling premises of his big house. In 1812, he was appointed elder of Kladovo and Brza Palanka. He unsuccessfully negotiated peace with the Turks in 1813. In 1814, he "appeared before the Austrian emperor in Vienna with Archbishop Mateja Nenadović and prayed that any relief would be given to the people in Serbia."
He returned to Serbia in 1815 and settled in Šabac, where he died in 1821. He was buried in the family tomb at the Šabac cemetery. Vuk Karadžić wrote in his memoirs that Jevta was a far more accomplished writer than some of his contemporaries in the Governing Council.
- Milan Đ. Milićević, Pomenik znamenitih ljudi u srpskog narodu novijega doba, Vol 1 (Belgrade, 1888)
- Milan Đ. Milićević,Kneževina Srbija (Belgrade, 1878)
- Lazar Arsenijević Batalaka, Istorija srpskog ustanka (Belgrade, 1898)
- Konstantin N. Nenadović, Život i dela velikog Đorđa Petrovića Kara Đorđa Vrhovnog Vožda... (Vienna, 1884)
- Глишић, Славица; Живанов, Миодраг (September 3, 1989). "Српска библиографија: књиге : 1868-1944". Narodna biblioteka Srbije – via Google Books.
- "Slovinac". Dragutin Pretner. September 3, 1881 – via Google Books.
- Павловић, Марко, протојереј-ставрофор. „Манастир Троноша“, у књизи Манастири Шабачко-ваљевске епархије.
- Stanojević, Ljiljana (September 3, 2004). "The First Serbian Uprising and the Restoration of the Serbian State". Historical Museum of Serbia, Gallery of the Serbian Academy of Science and Arts – via Google Books.
- Голуб Добрашиновић|Добрашиновић, Голуб. „У царству слова“, фељтон о Вуку Караџићу, Вечерње новости, 19. фебруар 2008.
- Milićević, Milan Đ (November 23, 1888). "Pomenik znamenitih ljudi u srpskog naroda novijega doba". u Srpskoj kraljevskoj štampariji – via Google Books.
This article "Jevta Savić Čotrić" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.