|Add a Photo|
|Born||1977 (age 44–45)|
|Awards||Sobey Art Award (2016)|
Jeremy Shaw (born 1977) is a Canadian visual artist based in Berlin, Germany.
He works in various media to explore altered states and the cultural and scientific practices that aspire to map transcendental experience. Shaw's artworks often combine elements of cinema vérité, conceptual art, music video, scientific research, and science fiction. His practice spans across media including film, video, photography, sculpture, music and performance and deals with recurring themes around belief-systems, drugs, neuroscience, subculture, dance and evolution.
Shaw has exhibited extensively including solo exhibitions at Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris (2020), Schinkel Pavillon, Berlin (2013), and MoMA PS1, New York (2011), and participated in various international surveys, including the 57th Venice Biennale (2017), and Manifesta 11, Zurich (2016).
In 2016 Shaw was awarded the Sobey Art Award.
Jeremy Shaw's work is included in numerous permanent collections including the Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA, Tate Modern, London, UK, Centre Pompidou, Paris, France, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Canada, and Sammlung Zeitgenössische Kunst des Bundes, Bonn, Germany.
Solo exhibitions (selection)
Phase Shifting Index, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris (2020)
Liminals, Museé des beaux arts de Montreal, Canada (2018)
Quantification Trilogy, Kunstverein Hamburg, Hamburg (2018)
Group exhibitions (selection)
On the spiritual matter of art, Maxxi, Rome, Italy (2019)
57th Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy (2017)
Manifesta 11, Zurich, Switzerland (2016)
In the media
- "CV | Jeremy Shaw". König Galerie. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Feel the Need to Believe: Artist Jeremy Shaw's Film "Quickeners" - 032c". 032c.com. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- Cumming, Jesse (December 2018). "Keep the Faith". Cinema Scope. Presents the Official Flag of the Domination of La Flor: 63.
- Vacheron, Joel (2014). "Jeremy Shaw". Under The Influence. 14: 217.
- "Jeremy Shaw | Centre Pompidou". www.centrepompidou.fr (in français). Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Jeremy Shaw | Hammer Museum". hammer.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Jeremy Shaw Wins 2016 Sobey Art Prize". artnet News. 2016-11-02. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Jeremy Shaw". The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Kunstverein in Hamburg". www.kunstverein.de. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "on the spiritual matter of art". MAXXI. 2019-01-30. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "LA BIENNALE DI VENEZIA, 57TH INTERNATIONAL ART EXHIBITION, 2017". König Galerie. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Shaw, Jeremy". Manifesta 11. 2016-06-04. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- Jeremy Shaw on Instagram
- Works | Jeremy Shaw | König Galerie
- Jeremy Shaw - 30 Artworks, Bio & Shows on Artsy
- Lose yourself (virtually) in the hypnotic art of Jeremy Shaw
- Jeremy Shaw explores neuroscience and science fiction in new installation
- Jeremy Shaw - Phase Shifting Index - Centre Pompidou
- Jeremy Shaw Quantification Trilogy - Beursschouwburg
- Jeremy Shaw: Best Minds | MoMA
- Jeremy Shaw - Macaulay & Co. Fine Art, Canada
- An Interview with Jeremy Shaw | Berlin Art Link
- Jeremy Shaw: Selected Facets and Translation at KÖNIG