New York, America
James Kanter is a Brussels-based journalist and a former correspondent for The International Herald Tribune and The New York Times.
Kanter was born in New York and grew up in Beverly Hills, California. He started his journalism career at The Cambodia Daily where he served as editor-in-chief from 1995 to 1997. In this role Kanter was an advocate for press freedom and environmentalism in Southeast Asia.
Reporting on Climate
In 2009 Kanter received the UACES Thomson Reuters Reporting Europe prize for his investigation into outsized profits energy companies made under the European Union Emission Trading Scheme. That same year Kanter contributed to the launch of a new Energy & Environment section of the NYTimes.com, where he reported on a number of local environmental issues, such as a biofuel project in Goteborg, Sweden.
Kanter revealed in 2013 that former European Commissioner John Dalli had made undisclosed trips to the Bahamas while in office, including travel by private jet. In 2016, Kanter covered the terrorist attacks in Brussels for the New York Times.
Kanter initiated a number of discussions in Brussels, such as on the number of Belgian Parliaments and on the power dynamics at the EU summits. In 2016 the Financial Times wrote that “James Kanter of the New York Times does a tremendous job of looking at how EU leaders project their power at EU summits, be it through bringing along nuclear codes or better still the finest in Luxembourgish neckwear.” Kanter remained a commentator on European affairs on international and local media after leaving the paper in 2017. In 2018 Kanter launched the independent European politics podcast EU Scream with Tom Brookes.
- "James Kanter". The International Herald Tribune. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- "The one who screamed". Humans of the E.U. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- Kato, Toshiyasu; Kaplan, Jeffrey A.; Sophal, Chan; Sopheap, Real (May 2000). "Cambodia: Enhancing Governance for Sustainable Development". Cambodia Development Resource Institute. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Could Deforestation Make Cambodia a Battlefield Again?". The Cambodia Daily. August 20, 2008. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- "Fearless newspaper meets its end as Cambodia clamps down on free press". Columbia Journalism Review. September 5, 2017. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- "Reporting Europe Prize". The academic association for contemporary European Studies. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- Kanter, James (December 10, 2008). "Polluter's Windfall: Carbon into Gold". The International Herald Tribune. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- The New York Times Company (February 26, 2009). "NYTimes.com Launches New Energy & Environment Section". NYTimes.com. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- Dawson, Bill (August 15, 2008). "Budget Knives Don't Cut Creativity". Society of Environmental Journalists. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- Kanter, James; Higgins, Andrew (July 1, 2013). "Ousted European Health Official Faces Questions About Plans to Transfer Money". The New York Times. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- "Email sent by me to Times of Malta in reply to an article appearing in the Sunday Times of Malta penned by Jacob Borg. This article was a copy a report by James Kanter of the New York Times to whom OLAF leaked the report they sent to Malta about a year before" (PDF). Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- Hiltner, Stephen; Lehman, Susan (April 1, 2016). "How The Times Covers Breaking News: The First 12 Hours of the Brussels Bombings". The New York Times. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- Ducourtieux, Cécile (May 3, 2017). "A chacun sa bulle... "Qui sont vraiment les « eurocrates » de Bruxelles ?"". Le Monde. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- Robinson, Duncan (October 21, 2016). "Brussels Briefing: Ignoring Brexit – life goes on for the EU". Financial Times Brussels Briefing. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- "Hoe blikt EU-correspondent James Kanter terug op 2017?". VRT NWS. December 20, 2017. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- "Brussels Playbook". Politico. November 20, 2018.
- "How to classify Brexit texts". Financial Times. November 20, 2019. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- Nuyens, Sarah (July 15, 2017). "Bruxelles: Les Britanniques face au défi de la naturalisation". La Libre Belgique. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- Mykkänen HS, Pekka (May 21, 2019). "Brysselistä on tullut myrkyllinen brändi". Helsingin Sanomat. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- James Kanter on twitter
- James Kanter on linkedin
- All Stories by James Kanter - The Atlantic
- Team - EU Scream
- James Kanter - The New York Times
This article "James Kanter" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.