|Add a Photo|
Ivanka Savic Berglund
|Alma mater||Karolinska Institute|
|Known for||Known for her neurophysiology and neuroimaging research relating to epilepsy, sex-differences, sexual orientation, gender identity, emotion processing, and the effects of chronic psychosocial stress on the brain|
Ivanka Savic Berglund is a Serbian-Swedish neuroscientist, physician, and a professor of neurology at both the Karolinska Institute in Sweden and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). She is best known for her neurophysiology and neuroimaging research relating to epilepsy, sex-differences, sexual orientation, gender identity, emotion processing, and the effects of chronic psychosocial stress on the brain.
During Savic's PhD studies, she investigated the GABA benzodiazepine receptor's role in temporal lobe epilepsy and helped to develop a new and internationally used method to pre-surgically diagnose the epileptogenic region.
Savic has carried out neuroimaging research to compare the brain structure of homosexual and heterosexual men and women. In 2008 Savic found both male and female homosexuals in her samples had amygdala's which resembled those of the opposite sex, i.e. gay men had a female-typical structured amygdala, while lesbians had male-typical structured amygdala, a region of the brain which shows little plasticity and is most likely to have been fixed at birth. A study Savic carried out in 2018 suggests that male homosexuality may be related to cerebral midline structures of the brain, which were not found in her sample of heterosexual females or males.
Savic has also studied the brains of transgender and transsexual people.Savic has co-authored papers with the dutch neuroscientist Dick Swaab on the brain structure of transsexual people.
In the media
- "Ivanka Savic Berglund | Medarbetare". staff.ki.se. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- "Researchers explore the science of gender identity". NBC News. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- Coghlan, Andy. "Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex". New Scientist. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- Manzouri, Amirhossein; Savic, Ivanka (2018-10-02). "Multimodal MRI suggests that male homosexuality may be linked to cerebral midline structures". PLoS ONE. 13 (10). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0203189. ISSN 1932-6203. PMC 6168246. PMID 30278046.
- "Transsexuality - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics". www.sciencedirect.com. Retrieved 2020-07-29.
- Ivanka SAVIC | Professor Karolinska Institute,,adjunct professor UCLA
- Ivanka Savic - Publications - Neurotree
- Structural connections in the brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation
- Ivanka Savic on linkedin
- Ivanka Savic, MD, Phd | Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior
- Sex Differences in the Human Brain, their Underpinnings and Implications, Volume 186 1st Edition
- Ivanka Savic - Science & Math: Books - Amazon.com
- Ivanka Savic Berglund | Medarbetare
- Prof. Dr. Dr. Ivanka Savic Berglund - AcademiaNet
- Ivanka Savic | Semantic Scholar
This article "Ivanka Savic" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.