Hamed Bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi
Dr. Hamed Bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi
الدكتور حامد بن محمد خليفة بن يوسف السويدي
Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
|Education||PhD in Economics & Finance|
|Alma mater||Al Nahda National High School|
University Of Portsmouth
Professional (finance industry)
|Title||FInstLM, FIoD, FInstAM, FRSS, FGS, RSA, F.Inst.TT|
Dr. Hamed Bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi (FInstLM, FIoD, FInstAM, FRSS, FGS, RSA, F.Inst.TT) (Arabic: الدكتور حامد بن محمد خليفة بن يوسف السويدي, Born 6 July 1983, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.) is one of Abu Dhabi’s young influential leaders who continue to contribute in building economic and cultural international relations for his country, the United Arab Emirates, especially that with the United Kingdom. Dr. Al Suwaidi has remarkably cemented his mark into the cultural and arts industry internationally and is now focused on cultivating his local heritage and help young talents develop and prosper. Dr. Al Suwaidi is also a renowned philanthropist with exceptional contributions to education, arts and cultural exchange mainly in Abu Dhabi and London.
He is born into a family of prominent personalities that have greatly contributed to shaping the establishment of the United Arab Emirates and the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
Dr. Hamed Bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi was born in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on 6 July 1983 into an eminent, culture and arts-oriented Emirati family with profound influence in the development and growth of the United Arab Emirates.
His father, H.E Mohamed Khalifa Bin Yousef Al Suwaidi is a diplomat and former advisor to Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the President of the United Arab Emirates. He is also the founder of Bin Yousef Group – a holding group active in multiple sectors including financial investments, asset management, real estate, shipping, travel, and entertainment and second child to Khalifa Bin Yousef Al Suwaidi, a statesman who played a significant role in the creation of The United Arab Emirates and in the economic and political life at the time in Abu Dhabi.
His Mother, Mouza Ahmed Khalifa Al Suwaidi, is the eldest child to H.E Ahmed Khalifa Al Suwaidi the Personal Representative of the UAE President, who is the first to read the historic statement of the founding of the United Arab Emirates on 2 December 1971 and the first UAE Foreign Minister for several years until he was appointed to his current post.
Dr. Al Suwaidi attended Al Nahda National High School in Abu Dhabi. He subsequently attended Wycliffe College in Gloucestershire, UK, where he achieved his A-levels.
Dr. Al Suwaidi graduated in 2004 from Regents University, London, with a dual degree, BBA in International Business and a BSc (Hons) in Business Administration. He has also earned a Post Graduate Diploma in Finance & Banking and an MSc in Strategic Business from the University Of Portsmouth, UK. In 2014, he completed his Ph.D. in Economics & Finance from the University of Portsmouth with the research titled “Stated Preferences for Future Management Developments in the Hospitality Sector, A Case Study of The Emirate of Abu Dhabi, UAE”.
- Global Entrepreneurship, “Pitch at The Palace”, hosted by HRH Duke of York Buckingham Palace, London, UK
- Leadership tutorials, practical British army exercises and leadership in the military context, Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Britain Special Forces and Global Operations, London, UK
- "Discussing leadership of the Commonwealth of Nations", The Royal Palace of Marlborough House - Commonwealth HQ, London, UK
- “The First Future Leaders” led by Wing Commander Richard Pattle the former Master of the Household to THR Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, UK
- Global Philanthropy- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - Cambridge Judge Business School (CJBS), Cambridge, UK
- Syndicate Work on Sustainability in a Complex World - Cambridge Judge Business School (CBJS), Cambridge, UK
- Global Media Operating Environment - Downing College, Cambridge, UK
- Individual Media Training, Location Camera Work and Mock Press Conference - Downing College, Cambridge, UK
- Open discussion on Leadership in Corporate Environment, Vetiver CEO, London
Career and Activities
Dr. Al Suwaidi is an inspirational leader and one of Abu Dhabi’s most respected leading professionals in the finance industry. He has a profound understanding of banking internal networks and departmental cooperation, including corporate, compliance international banking and regional subsidiaries, credit and support units, and their involvement with the international subsidiary network.
Dr. Al Suwaidi began his career in September 2004 with The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) where he honed his experience for thirteen years. He started as a Credit Analyst in the International Banking Division. He was then promoted to a Senior Credit Analyst, a Business Development Manager, a Senior Manager - Europe. In 2015, he then served as the Executive Director of Gulf & International & Deputy Regional CEO – Gulf & Africa. In early 2016, he served as the Regional CEO Middle East & Africa until September 2017 where he had contributed to the merger and integration between National Bank of Abu Dhabi and the First Gulf Bank into First Abu Dhabi Bank, FAB, which has become the Largest Bank in the Middle East and North Africa. In the past three years, his responsibilities included acting as the bank’s chief representative in the region and responsible for all the bank’s interest therein. In addition to supporting UAE-UK Joint Governmental Business Council in Respect of Financial and Professional Services work, with an emphasis on NBAD’s business interests in UK and MEA.
In 2005, Dr. Al Suwaidi started managing a portfolio of self and family asset management in real estate and financial investments in addition to Household operations.
In 2010, he was appointed as Vice Chairman and Managing Director of the Bin Yousef Group. The company is founded and fully owned by his father, H.E Mohamed Khalifa Bin Yousef Al Suwaidi, a holding group active in multiple sectors including financial investments, asset management, real estate, shipping, travel, and entertainment.
In 2014, he started and chaired Portsmouth Limited Abu Dhabi, with UK representation. It is a general trading firm promoting local and foreign investors in the region with several associations across borders. The establishment of Portsmouth was derived from Dr Al Suwaidi’s strong international professional network in various industries and markets and potential negotiation and international relations skills. His mission has been to combine all of these elements to continue the family’s brand and legacy, one that started from the late Khalifa Bin Yousef Al Suwaidi, to rise up to the challenges of the 21st century. The company’s name reflects his belief in the strength of the family’s trading roots in the ports of the Gulf.
Dr. Al Suwaidi’s passion for his culture and his country has encouraged him to further promote the Emirate of Abu Dhabi as a powerful brand in its tourism and culture at a national and international level. Inspired by his research on the hospitality sector, in 2014, he introduced a seat for NBAD to be part of the International Banking Division Head Office with the UAE-UK Joint Governmental Business Council.
In October 2012, Dr. Al Suwaidi led a delegation representing the United Arab Emirates in Hungary to discuss the economic development, cultural and tourism matters between the two countries. In 2013, he met László Kövér, Acting President of Hungary and the current Speaker of the National Assembly of Hungary, where the visit has greatly contributed in strengthening the economic relations and achieving the economic balance between Hungary and the UAE. The meeting has also resulted in initiating the potential collaboration with the University of Pécs.
In February 2013, Dr. Al Suwaidi made a special trip to Albania, where he conducted several meetings and met with the President of Chamber of Commerce and the Minister of Health, Minister of Economy, Minister of Education and the Minister of Culture, Tourism and Youth exploring potential Emirati opportunities for investments and developments.
Dr. Al Suwaidi, has greatly contributed in strengthening the joint relationship between the UK and the UAE and is one of the initial founders of the UK-UAE Year of Culture which was announced in November 2016 by His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, and HRH Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales - The Patron of UK-UAE Year of Culture.
- Patron of the National Portrait Gallery in London, UK (Current)
- Patron of the Nth Degree Club – Abu Dhabi & Dubai, UAE (Current)
- Patron of Lord Mayor Gifford Wood Appeal – City of London, UK (Current)
- Patron of The Lombard Appeal WCIB – City of London, UK (Current)
- Patron of the 200th year Anniversary in Commemoration of Waterloo Battle in London, UK (2015)
- Patron & President of N2N Gallery Abu Dhabi, UAE (2013-2015)
- The Institute of Leadership and Management of London, UK (FInstLM)
- The Institute of Directors, UK (FIoD)
- The Institute of Administrative Management, UK (FInstAM)
- The Royal Statistical Society, UK (FRSS)
- The Geological Society of London, UK (FGS)
- The Royal Society for Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, UK (RSA)
- The Institute of Travel & Tourism, UK (F.Inst.TT)
Memberships and Associations
- The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House
- The International Institute for Strategic Studies, IISS
- The City & Guilds of London Association
- Alumni of the University of Portsmouth
- Honorary Alumni of the University of Cambridge CISL
- Honorary Alumni of The Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst
- Alumni Champion – Emirati- UK Alumni Network Abu Dhabi
Titles and Honors
The City of London Corporation
- Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of International Bankers, July 2010
- Freeman of The City of London, May 2014
- Warranted Member of The Guild of Freemen of The City of London (2014)
- Member of the Lombard Appeal Committee, Mansion House, London (2014)
- Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Art Scholars, (2015)
- Liveryman - Society of Arts Scholars (2019)
- Governor - Royal Humane Society (2019)
The City of Glasgow Incorporations
- Burgess of the City of Glasgow, December 2015
- Freeman of the City of Glasgow, December 2015
- Elected Member of the Incorporation of Wrights in Glasgow, December 2015
- Honorary Member and Member of The Incorporation of Weavers in Glasgow, November 2016
Dr. Al Suwaidi was awarded the Licentiateship and Graduateship Awards in Management from the City & Guilds of London Institute in recognition of his achievements in Education, Training, and Employment both in 2010.
Arts, culture and poetry
Dr. Al Suwaidi’s interests are focused on exploring and understanding global cultures with great interest in world history especially that of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and The United Arab Emirates as a whole. In addition, he exhibits a special interest in breeding specific species of mammals and birds. Dr. Al Suwaidi is a passionate enthusiast of the English Heritage and is an ardent antique collector specifically classical frames. He also enjoys traditional bespoke gentlemen fashion including the Emirati, English, Scottish, and Bavarian. In addition to country horse riding, hunting, gardening, farming and playing chess. Dr. Al Suwaidi greatly enjoys listening and reciting poetry having been raised in a family of renowned poets including his very own brother, Ahmed Bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi.
Abu Dhabi Tie
A special design by Dr. Al Suwaidi carrying the emblem of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. The dark-blue necktie embroidered with Abu Dhabi’s emblems of red, white, and black coloration finds the superb balance between classic design and modern styling. The custom made patriotic necktie reflects an authentic image of Abu Dhabi. The tie is manufactured by Benson & Clegg one of the oldest silk weavers in England. The tie is one of the specially manufactured collection which also includes cufflinks and lapel pin. The items have been gifted to the General Secretarate of the Executive Council in August 2017.
The Al Suwaidi Foundation focuses on the preservation and the continuing development and growth of the cultural and artistic heritage of the United Arab Emirates. Founded by Dr. Hamed bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi, in 2019, the Al Suwaidi Foundation manages the enduring legacies of its late family members and undertakes projects designed to further the cultural heritage and identity of the nation.
Abu Dhabi Arts Society
The Abu Dhabi Arts Society (ADAS) is a UK-registered non-profit organization founded by Dr. Hamed Al Suwaidi. Its mission is to foster inclusivity in the local arts community and build bridges between cultural organizations from Abu Dhabi to the world. Encompassing visual arts, poetry and music, ADAS aims to shine a light on traditional and emerging artists from the region and bring together a community of artists, collectors, scholars and enthusiasts for private events, social gatherings and openings. We aim to broaden the reach of these events to encourage a warm atmosphere based on mutual appreciation and engage arts enthusiasts both young and old.
Humanitarian and Philanthropy
- Bin Yousef Group: http://www.binyousef.ae/
- HE Ahmad Bin Khalifa Al Suwaidi Official Website: http://faceuae.com/
- Khalifa Bin Yousef Al Suwaidi Official Website: http://www.khalifabinyousef.ae/en/Biography
- Al Suwaidi of Abu Dhabi Tartan: https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails?ref=11618
- Portsmouth Limited: www.portsmouth.ae
- The Worshipful Company of International Bankers: https://internationalbankers.org.uk/2015/05/29/new-liverymen-29th-april-2015/
- The Private Office of Hamed Al Suwaidi: http://alsuwaidipvt.ae/
- Portsmouth University: http://www.port.ac.uk/
This article "Hamed Bin Mohamed Khalifa Al Suwaidi" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.