George Glover (architect)
|Add a Photo|
|Born||June 2, 1812|
|Died||January 25, 1890(aged 77)|
George Glover (2 June 1812 - 25 January 1890) was a British architect and the brother-in-law of Joseph Hansom.
Glover was born in Goodramgate, York, where his father ran a whitesmith's business. When Glover was thirteen years old his elder sister, Hannah, married Joseph Aloysius Hansom, the Catholic architect and inventor of the Hansom cab. It is not known with whom Glover was trained as an architect, but Hansom was probably involved, either in the training or securing articles with another architect.
In 1832, Glover was working for Norwich architect John Brown, who was based in London at the time. In 1834, Brown, then back in Norwich, secured the contract to design St Michael's Church, Stamford, which had collapsed in 1832, and it seems that Glover was then acting as Brown's clerk. When the rebuilding of the church commenced, a year later, Glover was appointed clerk-of-works and was introduced to Richard Newcomb, the proprietor of the Stamford Mercury|Stamford Mercury, who sat on the building committee.
In 1839, Newcomb commissioned Glover to design Rock Terrace (a row of ten houses) and Rock House (a personal mansion for Newcomb) in Stamford, and, shortly after, Glover entered into a partnership with James Pocock of Huntingdon. Rock Terrace was built in 1841 and in the same year Glover married Pocock's daughter, Ann. The following year Rock House was completed as was the Huntingdon Literary and Scientific Institution (now Commemoration Hall), also designed by Glover.
During his time in partnership with Pocock, Glover also designed the St John's Hospital almshouses, three national schools, and the parsonage at Great Paxton, but the partnership ended in 1845. After failed attempts to establish himself in London and Lincoln, Glover moved on to Norwich and again worked with John Brown, but in 1847 he was imprisoned in Norwich gaol as an insolvent debtor, partly due to speculation in railway shares.
Glover was released after a month and in 1848 moved to Lowestoft where he remained with Ann, his wife, until she died in 1884. During his time in Suffolk he designed Wrentham Town Hall, as well as a parsonage, a brewery, a hotel, some shops and coffee taverns, and a church. He was also responsible for six substantial houses on the Esplanade, Lowestoft.
Major surviving works
- 1841, Rock Terrace, Stamford. Grade II no. 1062927
- 1840-47, St John's almshouse, Huntingdon. Grade II no.1330693
- 1842, Rock House, Stamford. Grade II no. 1062927
- 1842, Literary and Scientific Institution (now Commemoration Hall), Huntingdon. Grade II no.1161692
- 1843, Parsonage (now Paxton Place), Great Paxton. Grade II no.1130271
- 1860, Town Hall, Wrentham. Grade II no. 1352560
- 1865-69, Victoria Villas, Lowestoft. Non-designated heritage asset
- 1865-69, Victoria House, Lowestoft. Non-designated heritage asset
- 1877, 70-71 High Street, Lowestoft. Non-designated heritage asset
- 1884, St Mark's Church, Oulton Broad
Unattributed, possibly by Glover
- ↑ John Brown, note about Lowestoft Chapel, 1832, ICBS 1308, fol. 23, Lambeth Palace Library, London
- ↑ John Brown, proposal to the building committee of St Michael's, Stamford, ICBS 1385, fols. 99-101, Lambeth Palace Library, London
- ↑ “Advertisement”, Stamford Mercury, 9 February 1838
- ↑ “Stamford”, Lincolnshite Chronicle, 28 February 1845
- ↑ “Advertisement“, Stamford Mercury, 15 May 1840
- ↑ “Insolvent Debtors Court”, Norfolk News, 20 March 1847
- ↑ Daffurn, John (2022). George Glover (1812-1890): the unfulfilled potential of a Victorian architect. Stamford, UK: Eptex. pp. 11, 45. ISBN 9780993147937.
- ↑ Daffurn, John (2022). George Glover (1812-1890): the unfulfilled potential of a Victorian architect. Stamford, UK: Eptex. pp. 30, 48, 49. ISBN 9780993147937.
This article "George Glover (architect)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.