The web claims to have over 5 million graphic resources and more than 100 million downloads per month. The content that the users can find on the webpage are either created by Freepik Company's exclusive designers or uploaded by contributors all around the world. The platform follows a freemium model, which means that some of the content is free to use attributing to Freepik’s site and there are also paid subscriptions to access the premium resources.  Freepik was founded in 2010 in Málaga with the idea of providing free and useful graphic resources to designers around the world. This Spanish stock image platform is used by several million users including major multinationals such as Microsoft, FedEx, Amazon (company)|Amazon, or Spotify.
The platform is part of Freepik Company, a bootstrapped company which specializes in the production and distribution of graphic resources, it has been chosen by the Financial Times as one of the fastests growing companies in Europe for four consecutive years.. Freepik Company is the parent brand for three other creative platforms: Flaticon, Slidesgo and Stories by Freepik.
As of 2019 Freepik had a revenue of 31 million euros and more than 110 million downloads per month.
It was born as a personal project, the 3 founders needed images for web design purposes, especially Alejandro, who as a designer for a tech company had the need of using plenty of free illustrations and vectors. That’s why they started Freepik as an internal search engine for free illustrations. They indexed third-party content and once the user had identified what they wanted, they would download it at that third party's page.
During november 2011, Freepik became an open source and the webpage started generating a lot of traffic. In 2014 Freepik started producing its own graphic resources.
In 2018 Freepik changed its visual identity and presented a new logo. The redesign included a new font, modified isotype, and color palette and aimed to redefine the image of the brand closer to the tendencies in graphic design.
During the 2018-2019 financial year Freepik exceeded 100 million downloads per month and 5 million graphic resources.
In 2020 during the Coronavirus outbreak, as part of a CSR initiative by Freepik Company, Freepik offered its resources openly for health workers, educators and workers of public institutions.
New contributing photographers and designers must upload 20 resources exactly to be able to submit the images for revision. The first upload is reviewed by the editors team and If the aesthetic and quality standards are met the contributors can start uploading content.
Freepik has its own licenses for the resources available on the site. Free users must always include the attribution line “Designed by Freepik” on the final products or designs they use the resources for, whether these are physical or digital products.
Freepik resources cannot be used as a main element for selling products.
- "20 of the best places to find free assets for your graphic design projects", Creative Boom, August 25, 2016
- "The largest platform of free graphic resources", Freepik Company
- "Freepik ofrece ya más de 5 millones de recursos gráficos", Extra Digital, June 26, 2019
- "Freepik crece a ritmo de gacela: encadena otro año duplicando ingresos", Diario Sur, December 3, 2019
- "7 Essential Tools for a New Graphic Designer – 2020 Guide", Demotix, March 21, 2020
- "Málaga-based stock image startup Freepik Company now features 5 million resources", Eu-Startups, July 1, 2019
- " El 'Google español' de imágenes que no quiere inversores: ”No hace falta”", Lainformacion.com, July 29, 2019
- "Pablo Blanes: "Hemos conseguido crecer de forma autónoma y no contemplamos realizar ningún tipo de alianza"", Extra Digital, September 25, 2019
- "The FT 1000: The complete list of Europe’s fastest growing companies", Financial Times, May 17, 2017
- "The FT 1000: The complete list of Europe’s fastest growing companies", Financial Times, February 12, 2018
- "The FT 1000: third annual list of Europe’s fastest-growing companies”, Financial Times, March 1, 2019
- "FT 1000: the fourth annual list of Europe’s fastest-growing companies", Financial Times, March 2, 2020
- "La startup española Freepik es ya uno de los 'exits' más importantes de la historia de España tras ser comprada por el fondo EQT", Xataka.com, May 28, 2020
- , "EQT acquires freemium graphics and stock photo marketplace Freepik", Techcrunch.com, May 28, 2020
- "What is Alexa Rank?", Blog Alexa.com
- "Freepik.com Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic", Alexa.com
- "De Panoramio a Freepik pasando por Cuenca", El Mundo, December 13, 2019
- "Get to know us", Freepik Company
- "El desconocido ‘Google’ español de imágenes que se coló entre los que más crecen de Europa", El Español, April 20, 2017
- "Freepik, la web "made in Málaga" de contenidos para diseñadores que factura 1,2 millones de euros al mes", Xataka.com, October 11, 2017
- "Attribution: How, when and where?", Support Freepik
- "Nueva imagen corporativa de Freepik Company", Marketingdirecto.com, November 27, 2018
- "Freepik bate los 100 millones de descargas al mes y los 5 millones de recursos gráficos", La Opinión de Málaga, June, 26, 2019
- "FAQs for contributors", Support Freepik Company
- "Freepik: a contributor review", Xpiksapp.com, December 9, 2019
- "8 webs para ganar dinero como diseñador desde casa", Sleepydays.es, February, 2019
- "Freepik vs Vecteezy: Which one to choose?", Graphicmama.com, 2018