|Add a Photo|
|Born||June 11, 1937|
|Died||February 20, 2020(aged 82)|
|Citizenship||Turkey, United States of America|
Esin Atıl (June 11, 1937 - February 20, 2020) was a Turkish-American historian of Islamic art and curator of Islamic art at the Freer Gallery of Art.
Esin Atıl graduated from the American College for Girls in Istanbul 1956 with BA degree. She received a second BA degree from the Western College for Women in 1958 and went to graduate-level studies at the University of Michigan. Atıl received her Ph.D. in 1969 with a thesis titled Surname-i Vehbi: An Eighteenth Century Ottoman Book of Festivals under the supervision of Oleg Grabar.
Subsequent to her graduation, Atıl was appointed in 1970 to the position of the curator of Near Eastern Art at the Freer Gallery of Art (Smithsonian Institution) in Washington, D.C. Until her retirement in 1993, she remained in charge of the Islamic art collections of the Freer Gallery and, after its founding in 1987, of the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Her career is marked by a series of seminal and groundbreaking exhibitions of Islamic art, almost all of them accompanied by authoritative exhibition catalogues.
A specialist in the history of Ottoman art, Esin Atıl was the curator for the first major exhibition of the subject held at the National Gallery of Art in 1987. The exhibition was acclaimed as a milestone event, receiving both positive academic reviews and news coverage.
- Renaissance of Islam : Art of the Mamluks (Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1981)
- Kalila wa Dimna : Fables from a Fourteenth-Century Arabic Manuscript (Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1981)
- Bloom, Jonathan; Blair, Sheila S. (2009). Grove Encyclopedia of Islamic Art & Architecture. Oxford University Press. p. 233. ISBN 9780195309911. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "The Age of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent". National Gallery of Art. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Fisher, Carol Garrett (July 1990). "The Age of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent by Esin Atıl". Middle East Studies Association Bulletin. 24 (1): 81–82. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Grabar, Oleg (1989). "An Exhibition of High Ottoman Art". Muqarnas. 6: 1–11. doi:10.2307/1602275.
- Kessler, Pamela (23 January 1987). "Suleyman the Magnificence". The Washington Post. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Richard, Paul (25 January 1987). "Surveying the Splendors of the Age of Suleyman". The Washington Post. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Russell, John (26 January 1987). "Art: 'The Age of Suleyman'". The New York Times. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- who's who : esin atil - Turkish Culture Portal
- Esin Atıl (1937-2020) | H-Turk | H-Net
- Esin Atıl - Oxford Reference
- Esin Atil (born June 11, 1938), American researcher, Islamic art historian
- by Esin Atil (Author of The Age of Sultan Suleyman
- Esin Atil: Books - Amazon.in
- Esin Atil books and biography | Waterstones