Emily Saunders (musician)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Emily Saunders (musician) is a UK-based vocalist, composer, producer and broadcaster.
Born in London, raised in Brixton, Emily Saunders is from a very musical family: her grandmother was a classical pianist; her father Antony, is a classical pianist, arranger and choral conductor and her sister Rebecca Saunders is a contemporary classical composer.
Emily took to the piano writing songs from a very young age, and initially trained as a classical clarinettist - her fascination of improvisation led her to specialise in Jazz Voice at Trinity Laban Conservatoire.
Emily's love of rhythm and her enthusiasm for the great composers of Brazil inspired her to record her debut album, Cotton Skies in 2011, with her take on songs from iconic composers Hermeto Pascoal, Egberto Gismonti and Airto Moreira. In 2015, she released Outsiders Insiders, with nine original compositions.
|Year released||Title||Label||Catalogue number||Personnel||Notes|
|2011||Cotton Skies||The Mix Sounds||MIXS1511||Emily Saunders (musician) (voice, composer, producer), Byron Wallen (trumpet), Nick Walters (trumpet), Bruno Heinen (piano/Rhodes), Larry Bartley (bass), Jon Scott (drums), Chris Wells (percussion)||Originally released on F-IRE Records (CD36)|
|2015||Outsiders Insiders||The Mix Sounds||MIXS1501||Emily Saunders (musician) (voice, composer, producer), Byron Wallen (trumpet), Trevor Mires (trombone), Bruno Heinen (piano/Rhodes), Steve Pringle (Rhodes), Dave Whitford (bass), Paul Michael (bass), Jon Scott (drums), Asaf Sirkis (percussion), Fabio de Oliveira (percussion)|
In addition to her recorded music, Emily presents and produces radio shows; The Voice Mix and The Latin Mix on Jazzlondonradio.com. Emily has also broadcast on JazzFM (producing and presenting their New Years Eve 2017 warm up show). She is the founder of ConnectsMusic.com, an online platform creating a music community for independent and unsigned artists to share work and ideas. Emily is a passionate advocate for equality within the music industry and helps steer and shape the future of the UK music sector in her roles as an Ivors Academy Board Director, Chair of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee and as Chair of the Women in Music Working Group.
- https://www.bcu.ac.uk/conservatoire/about-us/birmingham-conservatoire-tutors-and-staff/antony-saunders, Antony Saunders at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
- https://issuu.com/trinitylaban/docs/encore_2015_winter_issuu, Trinity LABAN alumni newsletter
- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/sep/01/emily-saunders-cotton-skies-review, The Guardian review of Cotton Skies
- https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd-emily-saunders-outsiders-insiders, The Arts Desk review of Outsdiers Insiders
- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/26/emily-saunders-outsiders-insiders-review, The Guardian review of Outsiders Insiders
- https://planetradio.co.uk/jazz-fm/news/music-news/gregory-porter-headlines-christmas-on-jazz-fm/, JazzFM NYE 2017
- https://ivorsacademy.com/news/new-appointments-made-at-the-ivors-academy-to-strengthen-the-voice-of-jazz-composers-across-the-uk/, Ivors Academy website post
This article "Emily Saunders (musician)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.