Domenico Praticò (alzheimer)
|Fields||Alzheimer's disease, Dementia, Neurodegeneration|
|Institutions||Temple University, Philadelphia|
Domenico Praticò is a neuropathologist, professor, and doctor who is an international expert on Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia, and neurodegenerative aging. He has published over 450 articles in the journals.
Praticò is the Scott Richards North Star Charitable Foundation Chair for Alzheimer’s Research and Director of the Alzheimer's Center at Temple University’s Lewis Katz School of Medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He received his MD from the University of Rome “La Sapienza” and previously taught at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine. He is also a fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Dr. Praticò’s most recent research focuses on the effect extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) has on the brain, particularly related to the buildup and prevention of toxic tau proteins, a key factor in Alzheimer’s disease. He demonstrated that a diet rich in EVOO can help prevent the mental decline associated with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
Dr. Praticò’s other research focuses on bioactive oxidized lipids, where his work has significantly contributed to biomarkers, mediators of cellular and molecular events relatyed to the pathogenesis of clinical conditions, and therapeutic targets.”
He has received over $10 million in National Institutes of Health funding since 2001.
- Akiyama, Haruhiko; Barger, Steven; Barnum, Scott; Bradt, Bonnie; Bauer, Joachim; Cole, Greg M; Cooper, Neil R; Eikelenboom, Piet; Emmerling, Mark; Fiebich, Berndt L; Finch, Caleb E (2000-05-01). "Inflammation and Alzheimer's disease". Neurobiology of Aging. 21 (3): 383–421. doi:10.1016/S0197-4580(00)00124-X. ISSN 0197-4580.
- Praticò, Domenico; Uryu, Kunihiro; Leight, Susan; Trojanoswki, John Q.; Lee, Virginia M.-Y. (2001-06-15). "Increased Lipid Peroxidation Precedes Amyloid Plaque Formation in an Animal Model of Alzheimer Amyloidosis". Journal of Neuroscience. 21 (12): 4183–4187. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.21-12-04183.2001. ISSN 0270-6474. PMID 11404403.
- Praticò, Domenico; Clark, Christopher M.; Liun, Feyan; Lee, Virginia Y.-M.; Trojanowski, John Q. (2002-06-01). "Increase of Brain Oxidative Stress in Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Possible Predictor of Alzheimer Disease". Archives of Neurology. 59 (6): 972–976. doi:10.1001/archneur.59.6.972. ISSN 0003-9942.
- Praticò, Domenico; Tangirala, Rajendra K.; Rader, Daniel J.; Rokach, Joshua; FitzGerald, Garret A. (1998). "Vitamin E suppresses isoprostane generation in vivo and reduces atherosclerosis in ApoE-deficient mice". Nature Medicine. 4 (10): 1189–1192. doi:10.1038/2685. ISSN 1546-170X.
- Barry, O. P.; Praticò, D.; Savani, R. C.; FitzGerald, G. A. (1998-07-01). "Modulation of monocyte-endothelial cell interactions by platelet microparticles". The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 102 (1): 136–144. doi:10.1172/JCI2592. ISSN 0021-9738. PMID 9649567.
- Barry, O. P.; Pratico, D.; Lawson, J. A.; FitzGerald, G. A. (1997-05-01). "Transcellular activation of platelets and endothelial cells by bioactive lipids in platelet microparticles". The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 99 (9): 2118–2127. doi:10.1172/JCI119385. ISSN 0021-9738. PMID 9151784.
- "Domenico Praticò, MD". Lewis Katz School of Medicine. Temple University. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "DOMENICO PRATICO - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2019-12-24.
- "Lifeboat Foundation Bios: Dr. Domenico Praticó". lifeboat.com. Lifeboat Foundation. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "From Small Change Comes Big Rewards – PR News". www.pennmedicine.org. Penn Medicine. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "Klein Symposium on Neurodegeneration Booklet" (PDF). Rutgers Brainhealth. Rutgers University. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- DiSalvo, David. "New Study Suggests Extra Virgin Olive Oil May Fight Toxic Proteins From Accumulating In The Brain". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- Muse, Queen (19 December 2019). "Why Olive Oil Should Be Part of Your New Year's Resolution". Philadelphia Magazine. Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "Research Highlights - Alzheimer's Center at Temple University". medicine.temple.edu. Temple University. Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- "DOMENICO PRATICO - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Google Scholar. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "Domenico Pratico - PI/Project Leader Profile & Projects - NIH RePORTER". projectreporter.nih.gov. National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 21 December 2019.