Devon W. Meek
Devon W. Meek
|Add a Photo|
Devon Walter Meek
February 24, 1936
Lawrence County, Kentucky, United States
|Died||December 7, 1988 (aged 52)|
Columbus, Ohio, United States
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Occupation||Professor of chemistry at Ohio State University|
|Awards||Guggenheim Fellowship for Natural Sciences, US & Canada|
Devon Walter Meek, Ph.D. (1936–1988) was an American Professor of chemistry at Ohio State University.
Background and career
Meek was born in Kentucky, and received his BS in chemistry from Berea College. His MS and Ph.D. were received at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, where he studied sulfoxide complexes of transition metals under Professor Russell S. Drago. He served for 27 years in the chemistry department of OSU, rising eventually to department Chair. Meek's research group studied synthetic inorganic complexes - especially those of the Rare-earth elements and late metals - and spectroscopy.
Meek's papers are held in a special collection of the OSU library.
With William Thomas Lipponcott and Frank H. Verhoek, Meek authored an undergraduate text in 1970, Experimental General Chemistry.
Awards and honors
- 1981 - Guggenheim Fellowship
The Meek Lecture, given annually at OSU since 1989, has honored distinguished chemists including Dennis C. Liotta, Jay Keasling, Ralph F. Hirschmann, Alfred Bader, Allison A. Campbell, Edward J.J.Grabowski, and William Nugent (chemist).
- "Devon Walter Meek Lecture". chemistry.osu.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Meek, Devon W.; Straub, Darel K.; Drago, Russell S. (December 1960). "Transition Metal Ion Complexes of Dimethyl Sulfoxide". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 82 (23): 6013–6016. doi:10.1021/ja01508a012. ISSN 0002-7863.
- Springer, Charles S.; Meek, Devon W.; Sievers, Robert E. (June 1967). "Rare earth chelates of 1,1,1,2,2,3,3-heptafluoro-7,7-dimethyl-4,6-octanedione". Inorganic Chemistry. 6 (6): 1105–1110. doi:10.1021/ic50052a009. ISSN 0020-1669.
- Green, Lisa M.; Meek, Devon W. (March 1989). "Synthesis, characterization and reactivity of alkoxide and hydroxide complexes of rhodium(I) and iridium(I)". Organometallics. 8 (3): 659–666. doi:10.1021/om00105a013. ISSN 0276-7333.
- Meek, Devon W.; Mazanec, Terry J. (September 1981). "Determination of structural and dynamic aspects of organometallic and coordination chemistry by phosphorus-31 NMR spectroscopy". Accounts of Chemical Research. 14 (9): 266–274. doi:10.1021/ar00069a002. ISSN 0001-4842.
- "Special Collections Registry". library.osu.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- LIPPINCOTT, William Thomas (1974). Experimental general chemistry. [By] W.T. Lippincott, Devon W. Meek, Frank H. Verhoek. 2nd ed. Saunders. ISBN 978-0-7216-5788-2.
- "John Simon Guggenheim Foundation | Devon W. Meek". Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- "Jay D Keasling | University of California, Berkeley - Academia.edu". berkeley.academia.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "For President-Elect: Allison A. Campbell". Chemical & Engineering News. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- Devon W. Meek's research works | The Ohio State University
- Devon Walter Meek Lecture | Department of Chemistry and BioChemistry
- Devon W. Meek Papers - Ohio State University Libraries
- Devon W. Meek - John Simon Guggenheim Foundation
- Devon W. Meek (Author of Experimental General Chemistry)
This article "Devon W. Meek" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.