The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Add a Photo|
|Born||December 18, 1981|
Peak District, England
|Education||PhD in history|
David Gange (born 18 December 1981) is an English nature writer, kayaker and historian who has written about coastlines and sealife, as well as archaeology, religion and Victorian Britain. In 2016-17 he kayaked from Shetland to the Channel for The Frayed Atlantic Edge (Harper Collins, 2019), which won the Highland Book Prize and was longlisted for the Wainwright Prize for UK Nature Writing.
Gange grew up in Glossop and attended Glossopdale Community College. He moved to Chetham's School of music in 1997, intending to pursue a career as a musician, and has played on recordings such as Jon Opstad's Still Picture (New Canvas Records, 2004). Gange then attended Cambridge, where he received his PhD in history in 2007, and in 2010 moved to the University of Birmingham, where he is Senior Lecturer in History.
In 2009 Gange's then partner, Llinos Owen, suffered serious pelvic injuries in a car accident. They took up kayaking as a way for her to get outdoors. Ten years later, Gange published The Frayed Atlantic Edge, which is a book about the history and natural history of British and Irish coasts as seen from his kayak. Writing in The Scotsman, Roger Cox called this book 'a major step towards a genuinely radical reimagining of the British Isles'.
Gange is author or editor of four works of nonfiction:
- Dialogues with the Dead (Oxford University Press, 2013)
- Cities of God (Cambridge University Press, 2014), edited with Michael Ledger-Lomas
- The Victorians: a Beginner's Guide (Oneworld, 2016)
- The Frayed Atlantic Edge (Harper Collins, 2019)
- Afloat: Small Boats and Sea Spray is expected to be published by Harper Collins in 2022
In the media
- "David Gange – Georgina Capel". Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- "2019 Award". The Highland Book Prize | Duais Leabhair na Gàidhealtachd. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- Jazz, All About. "Jon Opstad: Still Picture album review @ All About Jazz". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- "20 Questions for SHaCademics – Dr David Gange – History @ Bham". blog.bham.ac.uk. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- "Llinos yn ceisio caiacio i Tokyo!". BBC Cymru Fyw (in Cymraeg). 2019-01-29. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- "Book review: The Frayed Atlantic Edge: A Historian's Journey From Shetland to the Channel, by David Gange". www.scotsman.com. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- David Gange on twitter
- Dr David Gange - Department of History - University of Birmingham
- David Gange – Georgina Capel
- Wild Words: an interview with author David Gange
- From the frayed Atlantic edge — The Island Review
- David Gange - Oneworld Publications
- David Gange — Intercontinental Academia
- David Gange, ‘We simply don’t argue over anything, really, anymore’
- David Gange - The Frayed Atlantic Edge - Kendal Mountain
- David Gange (Author of The Frayed Atlantic Edge) - Goodreads