The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline.
|Add a Photo|
|Born||April 28, 1951|
Cornel Stan (*28. April 1951 în Constanţa, Romania), is a German engineer and Professor 
Life and career
Stan graduated in Aerospace Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest, with a Diploma in Aircraft Propulsion Systems. He received the PhD Degree (1984) in Internal Combustion Engines and Habilitation in Automotive Engineering (1989) from the Technical University of Zwickau (currently Westsächsische Hochschule Zwickau).
After 1989, he was for seven years responsible for the development of new engine concepts at the German Motorcycle Company MZ (former DKW). In 1992 he was nominated as a Professor of Technical Thermodynamics at the West Saxon University of Zwickau (Westsächsische Hochschule Zwickau) and then as Director of the Institute of Automotive Engineering.
He was elected 1994 as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the new-founded Research and Technology Association FTZ Zwickau at the West Saxon University of Zwickau. The FTZ Research & Development activity is focused at present on automotive technology, electronics, motors, electric cars charging systems, electromagnetic compatibility, advanced materials and technologies for car bodies, as well as laser technology.
Between 1994 and 1996, Stan was Honorary Professor (Professore a Contratto) at the Universita degli Studi di Pisa, Italy, and between 1998 and 1999, Honorary Professor at the Universita delgi Studi di Perugia, Italy. In 2002, 2003, 2004 he was Honorary Professor Paris-Sorbonne University (Paris 6 – Pierre et Marie Curie) in France. In 2005/2006, he was nominated as Russel Severance Springer Professor of Mechanical Engineering (Invited Professor) at University of California, Berkeley, USA.
Between 2000 and 2010, Stan was a Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Automobile Engineering, Institution of Mechanical Engineers ImechE, UK. He has been, since 2012, Editor-in-Chief of the Romanian Journal Ingineria Automobilului (Automotive Engineering) of the SIAR – The Society of Automotive Engineers of Romania.
Stan organized and chaired many International Congresses and Conferences. Some of them are the following: “Alternative Propulsion Systems for Automobiles“, Essen/Germany 2000; “Development Trends of Motorcycles”, Zwickau/Germany 2002, Munich/Germany 2003, Borgo Panigale, Italy/Ducati, 2004, 2005, 2007; “Alternative Propulsion Systems for Automobiles”, Berlin/Germany 2007, München/Germany 2009; “VDIK-Future Propulsion of Automobiles”, IAA Leipzig / Germany, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016.
His languages for publications, courses and conferences are German, English, French, Italian and Romanian.
Awards and distinctions
- Fellow of the Society of Automotive Engineers SAE International, 2008
- Honorary Professor at Transilvania University of Brasov, Romania, 2004
- Doctor Honoris Causa at Transilvania University of Brasov, Romania, 2005 
- Doctor Honoris Causa at Ovidius University of Constanta, Romania, 2018
- Stan, C.: Thermodynamics for Machines and Automobile Engineering – in German (Thermodynamik für Maschinen- und Fahrzeugbau), Springer Vieweg, 2020,, Digital_object_identifier: 10.1007/978-3-662-61790-8
- Stan, C.: Alternative Propulsion Systems for Automobiles – in German (Alternative Antriebe für Automobile), 5th Edition, Springer Vieweg, 2020,
- Stan, C.: Automobile Thermodynamics – Basics, Applications and process Simulations – in German (Thermodynamik des Kraftfahrzeugs – Grundlagen und Anwendungen – mit Prozesssimulationen) 3rd Edition, 2017, Springer Vieweg 2017, SBN 978-3-662-53721-3
- Stan, C.: Alternative Propulsion for Automobiles (in English, Springer Nature Switzerland 2017,
- Stan, C. (Publisher): Development Trends of Motorcycles IV, Expert Verlag 2012,
- Stan, C.; Cipolla, G. (Publishers): Alternative Propulsion Systems for Automobiles II, Expert Verlag, Renningen, 2008,
- Stan, C. (Publisher): Development Trends in the Automobiles Development – in German (Entwicklungstendenzen im Automobilbau), Zschiesche Verlag, 2004,
- Stan, C.: Direct Injection Systems – The Next Decade in Engine Technology, SAE International, Warrendale, USA 2002,
- Stan, C.: Direct Injection Systems for Spark-Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines, SAE International Edition, Warrendale / USA, 2000,
- Sher, E. (Publisher); Stan, C. (Chapter 12: Handbook of Air Pollution from Internal Combustion Engines, Academic Press, San Diego / USA, 1998,
- Stan, C: Carmakers, Coresi Publishing, 2017, (English)
- Stan, C: Dracfried, Coresi Publishing,2017, (English)
- Bibliography of Cornel Stan in the German National Library
- FTZ-Research and Technology Association at the West Saxon University of Zwickau, www.ftz-zwickau.de
- Die Welt: „Die E10-Hysterie, das ist Volksverdummung“, veröffentlicht am 19.08.2015
- Freie Presse: "Die Zwickauer müssen mit dem neuen Elektroauto eine immense Herausforderung meistern”, erschienen am 26.06.2020
- Leipziger Volkszeitung: Leipziger Lerchen statt Zahnräder? Wie sich Sachsens Zulieferer fit machen für die E-Mobilität, erschienen am 14.05.2019