Catherine M. Rodriguez
Catherine M. Rodriguez (attorney)
|Years active||1991 - present|
|Organization||Filler Rodriguez Family and Marital Law|
Catherine M. Rodriguez is a American marital and family law attorney known for her international and high-net worth clientele. When it comes to matrimonial law, Rodriguez is in a class of her own.
In 2000, as a former litigator, she worked with the legal team at Conrad Scherer LLP that personally represented President George W. Bush in Bush V. Gore, 531 U.S. 98 (2000), the United States Supreme Court decision that settled a recount dispute in Florida's 2000 presidential election.
In 1998, as a former Broward County prosecutor and County attorney, she brandished a tough new zoning ordinance that ordered seven sex businesses out of the county. While being respectful of the Supreme Court's opinion that nude dancing is "expressive conduct" and is entitled to some First Amendment protection, in the words of Justice Scalia, "The Constitution does not prevent those communities that wish to do so from regulating, or indeed entirely suppressing, the business of pandering sex."
At the request of the U.S. Department of State, she has represented parents seeking the return of their children under the International Hague Convention, the main international agreement that covers international child abduction.
She is also an AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubble. She is Board Certified in Marital and Family Law and she is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Rodriguez has over 30 years of experience as a lawyer and has been widely recognized for her involvement in several high-profile cases.
Early life and education
Rodriguez graduated cum laude from Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, in 1988. She obtained her law degree from the University of Florida in 1991.
Rodriguez started her career in 1991 as an Assistant State Attorney and then a County Attorney at Broward County. She has practiced in the area of government tort litigation, civil rights issues, and land use litigation.
In 1998, Rodriguez became a Partner at Conrad Scherer LLP, a preeminent litigation law firm based in Fort Lauderdale, FL. She was promoted to partner and tried jury trial and non-jury trials in the areas of commercial litigation, land use, eminent domain, and corporate issues.
In 2013, she became a founding partner at Filler Rodriguez, LLP, and is presently working at this firm handling cases exclusively in the area of Marital and Family law.
Rodriguez has over 30 years as a leading attorney in the state of Florida, known for her work in Marital and Family Law. She has represented numerous cases including divorce, high net worth divorces involving businesses, post-nuptial agreements, alimony, child support, child custody, division of assets and debts, equitable distribution, relocation, modification of judgments, modification of child support, modification of alimony, marital settlement agreements, prenuptial agreements, and domestic and international child abduction pursuant to the Hague convention.
Ms. Rodriguez is actively involved in the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Legislation Committee
- Equitable Distribution Committee: Sub-Committee on Business Valuation 61.075 Valuation legislation
- Children’s Issues Committee: Sub-Committee Chair on Relocation Statute 61.13001 Glitch Fix legislation
- Publications Committee: Guest Editor of the Commentator, Summer 2018, Co-Author of Domestic Violence Claims are Now Subject to §57.105 Sanctions, Attorney’s Beware! Summer Commentator 2018, Secretary, Publications Committee
Florida Bar Family Law Rules Committee
In the media
- "Catherine M. Rodriguez Esq. - a Miami Beach, Florida (FL) Family & Divorce Law Lawyer". lawyers.findlaw.com. Retrieved 17 March 2021.
- Writer, JOSE LAMBIET Staff. "SEVEN SEX BUSINESSES ORDERED OUT". Sun-Sentinel.com. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Rodriguez, Catherine. "Miami Divorce Attorney Catherine Rodriguez". Filler Rodriguez, LLP. Retrieved 17 March 2021.
- "Lawyer Directory – The Florida Bar". Retrieved 17 March 2021.
- "18 Best Miami Beach Divorce Attorneys | Expertise.com". www.expertise.com. 26 October 2020. Retrieved 17 March 2021.