Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff
Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff
|Add a Photo|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
Calla Henkel (born 1988, Minneapolis, MN) and Max Pitegoff (born 1987, Buffalo, NY) are an artist duo working since 2011 in Berlin, Germany. They met while studying at Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York. They work between photography, sculpture, performance, theatre, and writing.
Their practice also incorporates the creation of spaces, such as Times, a bar in Berlin-Neukölln founded with artist Lindsay Lawson (2011-2012), New Theater, a storefront in Berlin-Kreuzberg where they wrote and produced plays with artists, writers and musicians (2013-2015), and since 2019, TV, a bar, performance space and film studio in Berlin-Schöneberg.
In 2015, New Theater staged and exhibited the play Apartment (Mother Courage) at the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York. In 2016, the duo organized a performance series within an exhibition in the Schinkel Klause at Schinkel Pavillon, Berlin. From 2017-2018, Henkel and Pitegoff led the artistic direction of the Grüner Salon at the Volksbühne Theatre in Berlin, where they presented a series of plays, working mainly with non-professional actors, while also regularly hosting performances by other artists.
Their work has been shown at the Kunstverein in Hamburg (solo, 2018), Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich (2018), Sprengel Museum, Hanover (2017), Cabinet Gallery, London (solo, 2017), Witte de With, Rotterdam (solo, 2016), Museum Ludwig, Cologne (2016), The 9th Berlin Biennale (2016), Isabella Bortolozzi Galerie, Berlin (solo, 2015), Museum Morsbroich, Leverkusen (solo, 2015), Artists Space, New York (2013), and Kunsthalle Bern, Bern (2012).
In the media
- "Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff - Biography, Exhibitions, Art". ARTUNER | Curated Contemporary Art. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "Interview with Calla Henkel & Max Pitegoff – KubaParis". Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "Calla Henkel & Max Pitegoff* – Manifesta 13 Marseille". Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "Q&A with Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff: New Theater in a New Context". whitney.org. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "Schinkel Klause". Schinkel Pavillon. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "The Space as Protagonist An Interview with Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff about the Grüner Salon in the 2017/18 season - News - Volksbühne Berlin". www.volksbuehne.berlin. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "Calla Henkel & Max Pitegoff". Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- Calla Henkel & Max Pitegoff - Galerie Isabella Bortolozzi
- Interview with Calla Henkel & Max Pitegoff – KubaParis
- Calla Henkel & Max Pitegoff at Cabinet, London •Moussemagazine
- Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff - Biography, Exhibitions, Art
- Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff at The Downer (Contemporary Art Daily)
- Calla Henkel/Max Pitegoff - Berlin Biennale
- Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff - Institut Kunst
- Interview mit Calla Henkel und Max Pitegoff - Monopol Magazin
- Max Pitegoff & Calla Henkel – Design for Arts
This article "Calla Henkel and Max Pitegoff" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.