|Add a Photo|
|Born||July 24, 1936|
Manhattan, New York, USA
|Died||March 15, 2000|
Manhattan, New York, USA
|Education||Hunter College, State University of New York-Downstate Medical Center (MD), Harvard University (MPH)|
Bernard Desmond Challenor (July 24, 1936-March 15,2000) was a public health professional and professor at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University.
Education and career
He completed his bachelor's degree at Hunter College and received his medical degree from the SUNY Downstate Medical Center in 1961. In addition, he earned a master of public health from Harvard University. Dr. Challenor worked at major public health entities throughout the 1960's, including the World Health Organization and the United States Public Health Service, serving in parts of Asia, Latin America, and West Africa. He was in the 1965 class of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's elite Epidemic Intelligence Service. His international work included efforts to vaccinate for and eradicate smallpox. Following this, he worked for the Boston Department of Health and Hospitals.
Dr. Challenor led the partnership between Columbia University and Harlem Hospital Center, becoming deputy director of the Columbia University-Harlem Hospital Center Affiliation in 1969. As chairman elect and chairman of the Physicians Forum in the early 1970's, he advocated for the restructuring of the United States healthcare system and a national health insurance system. While at Columbia, he was the director of the general public health program and from 1978-1980, was acting dean of the Columbia Mailman School of Public Health. By 1985, he was an associate professor in the school and continued in his role as director of public health, partnering with the Columbia School of International and Public Affairs to offer a dual degree to students.
Dr. Challenor died of a heart attack in his Manhattan home.
The Columbia Mailman School of Public Health awards the "Bernard Chanellor Spirit Prize" to students able to build community across departments in the school.
- "Dr. Bernard Challenor, 63, Health Professor". The New York Times. 2000-03-26. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- "Bernard Challenor | Archives and Special Collections". www.library-archives.cumc.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Yasmin, Seema. "Disease Detectives Investigate Outbreaks at Home and Abroad". Scientific American Blog Network. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- United States Congress House Committee on Ways and Means (1972). National Health Insurance Proposals: Hearings, Ninety-second Congress, First [and Second] Session[s]. U.S. Government Printing Office. pp. 2719–2730.
- "Student Awards | Columbia Public Health". www.publichealth.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- Bernard Challenor publications indexed on PubMed.
This article "Bernard Challenor" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.