Palo Alto, California
|Citizenship||United States of America|
Anne McCabe is an American film editor who has worked in movies and television with directors Greg Mottola, Kenneth Lonergan, Chris Rock, Marielle Heller, and many more since the late 1980s.
McCabe was born in Palo Alto, California to Bernard McCabe from Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England and Lucy Staton McCabe from Washington, D.C. One of nine siblings, she grew up mostly in Cambridge, Massachusetts but also in London and Copenhagen. Her father, of Irish descent, was a Professor of English at Tufts University. Her mother was of Scottish descent. Her uncle Herbert McCabe was a Dominican priest, well-known theologian, philosopher, and professor at the University of Oxford and editor of the Catholic journal New Blackfriars.
She graduated from Commonwealth High School in Boston, Massachusetts and Barnard College, Columbia University.
McCabe began her career as an apprentice editor for such films as Brian De Palma's Casualties of War (1989), Sidney Lumet's A Stranger Among Us (1992) and Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989). During the 1990s she also worked as an assistant music editor for such films as The Pelican Brief (film)|The Pelican Brief and Life with Mikey, and as an assistant (film) editor on many projects including several concert and other music-related films (Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, The Mambo Kings, Message to Love: The Isle of Wight Festival).
1995 - Present
McCabe has accumulated more than three dozen film and television credits since the mid-1990s, including comedies, dramas, and documentaries.
She worked on several projects for director Greg Mottola, including The Daytrippers (1996), Adventureland (film) (2009), and the pilot for [HBO's The Newsroom (American TV series), for which she won the American Cinema Editors Award for Best Edited Drama Series for Non-Commercial Television. The show also won a Critics' Choice Television Award for Most Exciting New Series in 2012.
She worked with Kenneth Lonergan on his directorial debut, the Academy Awards-nominated film You Can Count On Me (2000) and on Margaret (2011 film)|Margaret (2011),  and with Chris Rock on his comedy Top Five (2014).
McCabe has edited three films for director Marielle Heller: Can You Ever Forgive Me?, the 2018 Lee Israel biopic starring Melissa McCarthy;  It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, the 2019 Fred Rogers biopic starring Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys; and Heidi Schreck's What the Constitution Means to Me (2020).
McCabe's television work includes a dozen episodes of Nurse Jackie (2011), episodes of Damages (TV series) (2011), the pilot episode of The Newsroom (American TV series) (2012), an episode of The Purge (TV series) (2018), and several episodes of HBO's Succession (TV series) in 2018-19 including the well-known "showdown" episode from the first season. Her television documentary credits include the Peter Jennings Reporting special "Breakdown: American's Health Insurance Crisis" (2005).
Also a singer and musician, McCabe released a jazz album, I'd Prefer, with tenor saxophonist George Coleman and her brother, composer and saxophonist Alexander McCabe, in 2020. It reached number 4 on Roots Music Report's Top Jazz Albums chart for the week of March 6, 2021.
McCabe has eight siblings: Kate, John, Matthew, Louisa, Daniel, Anne, Alexander, Stephen, and Peter. She is married to New York Times sportswriter David Waldstein and has three adopted children from Ecuador, Elena Waldstein-McCabe, Luisa Waldstein-McCabe, and Luis Waldstein-McCabe. Based in New York, she has also lived in Ireland, France, Prague, Copenhagen, and Manchester, England.
Awards and Nominations
- 2011: Nominee, American Cinema Editors Award for Best Edited Half-Hour Series for Television, Nurse Jackie
- 2013: Winner, American Cinema Editors Award for Best Edited Drama Series for Non-Commercial Television, The Newsroom
- 2019: Winner, Peabody Award, Succession
|2021||Dear Evan Hansen||Film||Editor|
|2020||What the Constitution Means to Me||Film||Editor|
|Covid Is No Joke||TV||Editor||Special|
|A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood||Film||Editor|
|2018||Succession||TV||Editor||"Pre-Nuptial," "Which Side Are You On?"|
|The Purge||TV||Editor||"Lovely Dark and Deep"|
|Can You Ever Forgive Me?||Film||Editor|
|An Actor Prepares||Film||Editor|
|Younger||TV||Editor||"Beyond Therapy," "Jersey, Sure," "The Mao Function"|
|2015||Younger||TV||Editor||"I'm with Stupid," "Girl Code"|
|2013||Onion News Empire||TV Movie||Editor|
|The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete||Film||Additional Editor|
|2012||Thanks for Sharing||Film||Editor|
|The Newsroom||TV||Editor||"We Just Decided To"|
|Nurse Jackie||TV||Editor||6 episodes|
|2010||Nurse Jackie||TV||Editor||6 episodes|
|An Invisible Sign||Film||Additional Editor|
|2009||Possible Side Effects||TV Movie||Editor|
|2005||Peter Jennings Reporting: Breakdown - America's Health Insurance Crisis||TV Special||Editor|
|Bittersweet Place||Film||Supervising Editor|
|2004||Maria Full of Grace||Film||Editor|
|2000||Peter Jennings Reporting: Family Business||TV Movie Documentary||Editor|
|You Can Count on Me||Film||Editor|
|1999||Raw Nerve||Film||Editor, Music Editor|
|A Price Above Rubies||Film||Assistant Editor: New York|
|1996||I'm Not Rappaport||Film||Editor|
|Message to Love||Documentary||Assistant Editor|
|1995||"Little Women in Transit"||Short||Editor|
|Sabrina||Film||Assistant Editor: New York Dailies|
|1994||The Last Good Time||Film||Assistant Music Editor|
|Drop Squad||Film||Assistant Music Editor|
|1993||American Masters||TV Documentary Series||Assistant Editor||"Paul Simon: Born at the Right Time"|
|The Pelican Brief||Film||Assistant Music Editor|
|Life with Mikey||Film||Assistant Music Editor|
|1992||A Stranger Among Us||Film||Apprentice Film Editor|
|The Mambo Kings||Film||Apprentice Editor|
|1991||Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight||Documentary||First Assistant Editor|
|1989||Crimes and Misdemeanors||Film||Apprentice Film Editor|
|Casualties of War||Film||Apprentice Film Editor|
|1988||The Prince of Pennsylvania||Film||Post-Production Assistant|
|Shakedown||Film||Apprentice Music Editor (uncredited)|
- Kouguell, Susan (28 November 2019), INTERVIEW: "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" Editor Anne McCabe, Script, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Casualties of War, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- A Stranger Among Us, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Crimes and Misdemeanors, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- O'Connell, Sean (12 June 2012), 2012 // Most Exciting New Series Honorees To Be Celebrated At The Critics’ Choice Television Awards, Critics Choice, retrieved 10 March 2021
- You Can Count on Me, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Margaret, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Top Five, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Kouguell, Susan (29 November 2018), Susan Kouguell Speaks with Can You Ever Forgive Me? Editor Anne McCabe, Script, retrieved 10 March 2021
- McClintock, Pamela (8 January 2019), Making of 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?': How Melissa McCarthy Stepped In for Julianne Moore, Hollywood Reporter, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Tangcay, Jazz (21 November 2019), How Mr. Rogers Influenced the Pacing of ‘A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’, Variety, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Debruge, Peter (15 October 2020), ‘What the Constitution Means to Me’ Review: Heidi Schreck Gives Audiences Even More Reasons to Vote, Variety, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Dear Evan Hansen, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Dear Evan Hansen, IMDB, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Greene, Steve (23 May 2019), ‘Succession’: Building the Unbearable Tension of That Memorable Boardroom Sequence, Indiewire, retrieved 10 March 2021
- The Roots Music Report's Top 50 Jazz Album Chart for the Week of Mar 6, 2021, Roots Music Report, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Moye, Clarence (13 December 2019), Editor Anne McCabe Keeps the Mr. Rogers Feeling In the ‘Neighborhood’, Awards Daily, retrieved 10 March 2021
- Succession (HBO), Peabody Awards, retrieved 22 March 2021