The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Add a Photo|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
Amnon Freidlin (Born 1985), better known as Honda, is an American composer, performer, electronic musician, and designer based in Brooklyn, New York.
Amnon Freidlin was born in Leominster, MA, and spent most of his formative years in Squirrel Hill (Pittsburgh), Pittsburgh. He was exposed to a wide range of musical influences in his childhood and by age 15 was a noted jazz guitar player at Creative and Performing Arts High School (CAPA) in Pittsburgh. After graduation, he attended the Esther Boyer College of Music at Temple University in North Philadelphia to study jazz guitar, composition, and theory under Ben Schachter, Terrell Stafford, Tom Giacabetti, and Alexander deVaron.
After college, Freidlin was embedded in the experimental music community in Philadelphia, playing a leading role in composition and performance on guitar/electronics in the chamber-punk ensemble Normal Love. During this period, he was awarded multiple composer grants and was an active participant in the improvised music scene.
In 2008, Freidlin relocated to New York City in part to join post-minimalist group, Zs (band). It was during this period that he began to expand his practice to incorporate more electronic aspects and instruments into his music which quickly connected him to new and different sub-communities of the avant-garde. It was during this same period that visual design became central to his artistic practice, through album art direction and graphic design work at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. This led to design projects for Patti Smith, Michael Kors, Laurie Anderson, Alexander Wang, Rosanne Cash, Steve Reich, John Zorn and the New York Philharmonic.
In collaboration with multimedia artist Hyperbody aka Diana Joy, Freidlin participated in the audio/visual character-based performance art unit Mouthguard88. The pair’s sole, self-titled album was released on Slimetrax in 2015.
In 2016, Honnda emerged as Freidlin’s primary music outlet, a solo electronic effort variably described as new-jack slime, hyperkinetic funk, avant-bass, psychedelic club, and future-pop”, with a central focus on creating a “portal to infinite victory”. His debut release, Diamonds in the Microwave, was released in 2016 on Orange Milk Records. It was followed by 2018’s Maraschino Mic Drop, also released on Orange Milk, described by Vice Media|Vice as "the kind of molecular, plasticine anarchy that might recall your most perversely dopamine-craved SoundCloud digging excursions." It was also hailed by Stereogum as "a densely and exuberantly forward-thinking album."
In 2016 Honnda was commissioned by Barneys New York to provide sound design for a window installation by animation studio We Are Prism alongside work by Trey Parker and Matt Stone (South Park). He went on to score installations by Nick Cave (performance artist), Louise Bourgeois, Comme des Garcons, Prada, Christian Louboutin, and more.
Music for Film
- Composer - Bad Match (2017) (co-composed with Brian McOmber)
- Fantasy Remover (Public Eyesore, 2013)
- Diamonds In The Microwave (Orange Milk Records, 2016)
- Maraschino Mic Drop (Orange Milk Records, 2018)
- New Slaves (The Social Registry, 2010)
- Mouthguard88 (Slimetrax, 2015)
With Normal Love
- Normal Love (High Two, 2007)
- Peal/Kleinman 7” (High Two, 2009)
- Survival Tricks (ugEXPLODE, 2012)
- Dummy. "Premiere: Honnda - Maraschino Mic Drop". DummyMag. Retrieved 2021-07-06.
- "Premiere: Honnda - "Fuchsia Philharmonic"". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- "This week's must-hear playlist: Aïsha Devi, Blawan, Honnda and more". Fact Magazine. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- Francisco, About Sjimon Gompers Sjimon Gompers is based in San; profile, his blog is Goldmine Sacks full (2016-09-23). "Week in Pop: Francie Moon, Noumenal Loom, Shelf Life". IMPOSE Magazine. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- "ABOUT / PRESS / CONTACT". Amnon Freidlin. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- "This Week's Essential Releases: D-Beat, Dance, Experimental, and More". Bandcamp Daily. 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2021-07-06.
- "Honnda and Dai Burger's New Collab Is Like Winning the "Megga Millionz" and the Powerball". www.vice.com. Retrieved 2021-07-05.
- "Stream Honnda Diamonds In The Microwave". Stereogum. 2016-09-19. Retrieved 2021-07-06.
This article "Amnon Freidlin" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.