|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Education||PhD in computer science|
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign|
|Awards||Sloan Research Fellowship (2017)|
|Thesis||Designing representational architectures in recognition (2011)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Forsyth|
Ali Farhadi is a computer scientist and an Associate Professor in the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington where he leads the RAIVN Lab. He also holds a research position in the Apple Inc. and previously was a research manager an the Allen Institute for AI. He co-founded the on-device machine learning company, XNor.ai, which was acquired in 2020 by Apple Inc.
Ali Farhadi earned his PhD in computer science from University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign under the guidance of David Forsyth working on Computer Vision. He was then a post-doctoral fellow with Alexei A. Efros and Martial Hebert at the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University before joining the University of Washington. He currently conducts research in the broad fields of Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, Robotics and Reasoning. Some of his research works include YOLO object detection framework which enabled real-time object detection, visual common sense reasoning and resource-efficient machine learning.
Ali Farhadi has been named an Allen Distinguished Investigator in 2014, awarded the prestigious Sloan Research Fellowship in 2017, Early Career Academic Achievement Alumni Award from UIUC in 2019 and was one of the inaugural Google Fellowship holder.
In the media
- "Ali Farhadi". homes.cs.washington.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Faculty | Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering". www.cs.washington.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "RAIVN Lab - Home". raivn.cs.washington.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Exclusive: Apple acquires Xnor.ai, edge AI spin-out from Paul Allen's AI2, for price in $200M range". GeekWire. 2020-01-15. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- Farhadi, Ali (2012-02-06). "Designing representational architectures in recognition". University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- "YOLO: Real-Time Object Detection". pjreddie.com. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "VCR: Visual Commonsense Reasoning". visualcommonsense.com. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Perceptual Reasoning and Interaction Research - XNOR-Net ImageNet Classification Using Binary Convolutional Neural Networks". prior.allenai.org. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "ADI-Artificial Intelligence Awards 2014 - PGA Family Foundation". www.pgafamilyfoundation.org. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Allen School News » UW CSE professor Ali Farhadi and Ph.D. alum Jon Froehlich win Sloan Research Fellowships". news.cs.washington.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- Communications, Grainger Engineering Office of Marketing and. "Alumni Awards Past Recipients". cs.illinois.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Ali Farhadi". UW College of Engineering. 2012-08-24. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- Ali Farhadi | Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science
- Ali Farhadi - Google Scholar
- Ali Farhadi on linkedin
- Ali Farhadi - Co-Founder & Chief Xnor Officer @ Xnor.ai
- Ali Farhadi - IEEE Xplore Author Details
- Ali Farhadi | Computer Science | U of I - CS@Illinois