AST SpaceMobile, Inc. is a satellite telecommunications company building a space-based broadband cellular network. This network called AST SpaceMobile allows unmodified standard smartphones stay connected to 4G LTE/5G cellular networks via satellites.
AST SpaceMobile, Inc. was previously AST & Science before it was taken public. AST & Science purchased a controlling interest of NanoAvionics in March 2018.
AST SpaceMobile network
AST SpaceMobile is attempting to become the first space-based broadband cellular network. It is unique in that it does not require the use of a satellite phone nor satellite dish, instead AST SpaceMobile is designed to work with standard smartphones without the need of any hardware or software modifications.
Initial test bed satellite BlueWalker 1 launched in April 23, 2019.
BlueWalker 2 was cancelled, but last technology validation satellite BlueWalker 3, scheduled to launch in late 2021.
First commercial offering starting in 2023 with the launch of 20 satellites to cover the equator countries. A follow up phase a total of 110 satellites to achieve global coverage around 2023. And finally 5G support with a total of 168 satellites by the end of 2024
- January 2017 Seed - $6 million Abel Avellan
- July 2018 Series A - $10 million Grupo Cisneros
- March 2000 Series B - $110 million Vodafone, Rakuten, American Tower, Samsung Next
- April 2021 SPAC - $462 million New Providence Acquisition Corp. a special-purpose acquisition company
- "NanoAvionics will Build and Launch Three Low-Earth-Orbit Satellites for AST & Science in 2019-2020". NanoAvionics.
- "Successful Launch of First Satellite". AST & Science.
- "When will SpaceMobile be operational?". AST & Science.
- "AST SpaceMobile Investor Presentation" (PDF). New Providence Acquisition Corp.
- "Onwards and Upwards … connecting the world through SpaceMobile". Adriana Cisneros.
- "New Providence Acquisition Corp. Stockholders Approve Business Combination with AST & Science". Business Wire.
This article "AST SpaceMobile" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.