A. Charles Peruto Jr.
The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline.
A. Charles Peruto Jr.
|Born||1955 (age 66–67)|
Philadelphia, PA, U.S.
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Education||St. Joseph's University|
|Alma mater||St. Joseph's University|
|Political party||Republican Party (United States)|
A. Charles Peruto Jr. (born Anthony Carlo Peruto Jr.) is a criminal defense attorney and candidate in the 2021 Philadelphia District Attorney race.
Early life and education
Peruto was born and raised in the Overbrook, Philadelphia|Overbrook section of West Philadelphia. His father was well-known criminal defense attorney A. Charles Peruto Sr. Peruto Jr. attended St. Callistus Parochial School and graduated from Haverford High School. He received his Bachelor of Arts from St. Joseph's University and his Juris Doctor|JD from Delaware Law School.
Peruto began his career as a criminal defense attorney in 1980. He has represented high-profile defendants throughout his career, including Joey Coyle, a longshoreman who found and kept $1.2 million, Joey Merlino, the onetime mafia boss of the Philadelphia crime family, and Gary Heidnik, a serial rapist and murderer who partially inspired the Buffalo Bill (character)|Buffalo Bill character in The Silence of the Lambs.
In February 2021, Peruto announced his candidacy as a Republican Party (United States)|Republican in the Philadelphia District Attorney race, challenging incumbent Larry Krasner. His proposed policies include longer minimum sentences for gun related crimes and an end to plea bargains for shootings. In his campaign materials he states that public safety is more important than civil rights.
The Girl in the Bathtub
In May 2013, Peruto's 26-year old girlfriend Julia Law was found dead in the bathtub of Peruto's Philadelphia home. A grand jury probe into Law's death ruled that the cause of death was accidental drowning, possibly related to a seizure or alcohol poisoning. A television movie, Girl in the Bathtub, based on the events, premiered on the Lifetime Network in 2018.
- Slobodzian, Joseph A. "A. Charles Peruto Sr., high-profile defense lawyer, dies".
- Fiorillo, Victor. "I Love My Job: Chuck Peruto".
- Gemperlein, Joyce (May 12, 1981). "PERUTO HAS HIS FATHER'S MOUTH, AND WANTS THE SAME LIMELIGHT". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Montaigne, Fen (June 21, 1988). "TIME WITH HEIDNIK WAS NIGHTMARE OF RAPE AND TORTURE, WOMAN TESTIFIES". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Oliver, Mark. "Serial Killer Gary Heidnik: The Real-Life Buffalo Bill Who Fed One Of His Victims To His Prisoners". Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Brennan, Chris. "High-profile Philly lawyer Chuck Peruto is challenging DA Larry Krasner as a Republican". Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Brennan, Chris. "Chuck Peruto's comments about Black people, 'gay bashing,' and 'the girl in my bathtub' draw controversy in his Philly DA bid". Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Lai, Jonathan; Steele, Allison (May 26, 2013). "Woman is found dead in lawyer's condo". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Slobodzian, Joseph A. (February 13, 2014). "Peruto won't be charged in woman's bathtub death". No. Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 30 May 2021.
- Gray, Ellen. "Philly crime mystery 'Girl in the Bathtub' is a Lifetime movie you're better off skipping".
This article "A. Charles Peruto Jr." is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.