May 1, 2004
|Height||5 ft 6 in (168 cm)|
Rhiannon Black (born May 1, 2004), better known by her stage name WillowBoo, is an American rapper and entrepreneur from Gonzales, California. After independently building a following through the release of two critically acclaimed songs Wish Kid and Hustle Grind, Black gained wider recognition for her song Breathe, which went viral on TikTok in 2020.
At 17-years-old, Black is considered one of the youngest entrepreneurs in the HealthTech industry. She is the founder and CEO of AirFlowy, a smart spirometry company that aims to make administering lung function testing easier for children and adults with chronic lung diseases.
Black has attracted widespread attention for her entrepreneurial accomplishments as well as her musical talents, resulting in her story being featured in media outlets like Yahoo Finance, Marketwatch, Disrupt Magazine, Thrive Global, and others.
Early life and education
Black was born on May 1, 2004, in Monterey, California. She grew up as the second eldest of nine children. As a teenager, Black developed an interest in hip hop and was highly influenced by industry giants such as Jay Z, Pharrell Williams, and Nas. It was during this time that Black adopted the stage name WillowBoo and decided to pursue her career as a musical artist. Initially, Black began writing spoken word poetry, which she would later combine with her passion for hip hop to write, produce, and record her first rap album.
Black began uploading her music online in 2019, but it was not until later that she decided to pursue a career in music. After adopting the stage name WillowBoo, Black began recording songs in her bedroom studio. She released her debut mixtape Wish Kid in 2019. Her follow-up mixtape Hustle Grind features the single Breathe, which went viral on TikTok in 2020.
In addition to her musical interests as a solo rap artist, Black also pursued an entrepreneurial venture in 2019 with the launch of a respiratory healthcare technology startup Airflowy, where she currently serves as founder and CEO. The company has gained recognition for its advancement in creating respiratory health solutions for patients suffering from chronic lung conditions. Airfowy is best known for its Airflowy pocket spirometer that allows patients to take control of their respiratory health remotely. It measures the amount of air that can be breathed and expelled in a single forced breath to check lung function. Airflowy secured a pre-seed funding round on October 13, 2021, led by Global VP Partners.
Black is fluent in English and Spanish.
In the media
- "Rhiannon Black - Crunchbase Person Profile". Crunchbase. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "WillowBoo on SoundBetter". SoundBetter. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "BREATHE". music.amazon.com. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Airflowy, A Technology Startup Developing Smart Respiratory Health Solutions". sg.finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "WillowBoo". SoundCloud. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Airflowy Raises Seed Funding Round for Smart Health Solutions". MarketWatch. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Rhiannon Black, the 17-year-old founder of Airflowy, is helping COVID sufferers breathe easier". Disrupt Magazine. 19 October 2021. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Meet Rhiannon Black: The 17-Year-Old Airflowy Founder Helping Children To Breathe Easier". thriveglobal.com. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "WillowBoo on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Airflowy, a technology startup developing smart respiratory health solutions". Fuentitech. 15 October 2021. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "An Interview With 17-Year-Old Airflowy Founder Rhiannon Black - SuperbCrew". www.superbcrew.com. Retrieved 13 November 2021.