Kevin Michael Musikanth
Kevin Michael Musikanth
|Add a Photo|
|Born||August 9, 1977|
|Occupation||Ugby union coach|
Kevin Michael Musikanth (born 9 August 1977 in Cape Town, South Africa) is a South African rugby union coach. He has been the head coach of the Israel rugby union team|Israel Rugby Union Team since 2017 and Technical Director of the Israel Rugby Union since 2018.
Kevin led the university of Cape Town, as the bottom ranked team, to become varsity cup winners in the prestigious 2014 Varsity Rugby|Varsity Cup competition in South Africa in the year 2014. Kevin Musikanth’s team were languishing at 33-15 down with 7 minutes left on the clock. In an unprecedented comeback Ikey Tigers|IKEYS scored 24 unanswered points to win at the death 39-33.
The magnitude of the victory and its manner prompted Musikanth, world renowned Professor Tim Noakes and former international referee Jonathan Kaplan (rugby union)|Jonathan Kaplan to author an inspirational book, “Always believe in magic…” which was the documented story and process of the Ikey Tigers|IKEY tigers winning campaign of 2014.
Musikanth and his team followed up their Varsity Cup Championship|varsity cup victory by winning the inaugural University World Cup in 2015, England national rugby union team|England, becoming University World Champions.
Kevin Mushikanth played as a fly-half in his rugby career while coaching
- False Bay Schools
- Rugby Tour to ARG Captain (94)
- Craven Week final trials (96)
- WP Maccabi (96)
- SA Maccabi (97 & 2001) 2001 - Gold medal winner
Muizenburg High School
in 1998 Musikanth joined Muizenburg High School, Cape Town as the 1st XV Head Coach. his team won 17 out of 22 matches
In 2001 Musikanth joined the Reddam House Collage, Musikanth's team played 77 matches while he served as the 1st XV Head Coach and won a total of 60 matches and drew 2
False Bay Rugby Football Club Current SA national Club Champs
Musikanth acted as an assistant coach for the U20a team at the False Bay Football Club in 2000-2001 before he became 1st XV Technical advisor in 2008. In 2009, in his first year as head coach in 2009 Musikanth were promoted, winning the league emphatically, with all three senior teams, as well as the Under-20s, winning the SLB league title. Musikanth then left False Bay and took up the director of rugby role at Wynberg Boys High School, in 2012
Notable False Bay Achievements
- In 2009 and 2013 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team all won the league (SLB) as well as the u20A’s
- First coach to win SLB league twice
- First coach to gain promotion to the SLA in 14 years since Nick Mallet left the club
- Youngest coach in the SLA (2010) 32 years old
Wynberg Boys High School
In 2012 Musikanth was the first director of coaching in Wynberg Boys rugby history. Musikanth Helped build the school to a top 10 ranking, moving the school from a win ratio of 45% to a win ratio of 75% from 2011 to 2014 in the last three years. Currently at 90% in 2014 (1st XV unbeaten) and ranked 5th in SA.
In 2012 and 2013, WBHS 1st xv achieved the headmasters slam which is winning the derby against Grey PE (WBHS had never beaten Grey since the derby began in 1996) and not losing to RBHS, SACS and Bishops home and away. In 2014 his team beat Bishops on the Piley Rees at first team level for the third year in a row.
UCT IKEY Tigers Rugby Club
Ikeys had underachieved within the two years previous to Musikanth’s arrival in 2013 from False Bay. Musikanth ended his tenure at UCT with an 82 % win rate in 65 video games in cost, a noteworthy stat seeing because the group had been within the relegation zone in 2012 and 2013. By the time Musikanth departed for Johannesburg in 2015 to take up publish as director of rugby at St John’s College, IKEYS had gained eight trophies over his two-year stint.
St Johns College
Musikanth took up the role as the Director of Rugby and Head Coach for the 1st XV in 2015 . In 2016 St Johns College had the most wins in a calendar year since 2006 with one match to play.
Notable St Johns Achievements
- First win against all Saints schools since 2006
- Best win percentage for First XV since 2006
- From a directorship perspective the A teams combined national rankings St Johns college makes the list at 20th in SA (from a combined ranking of 78th the year before
Golden Lions u16 Academy
Musikanth was the backline and defense coach for the Golden Lions u16 Academy in 2017 before he got appointed as the Senior SA Maccabi Head coach for the Maccabi Games in July 2017
- "Arrivals: Meet Israel's new National 15s Rugby coach". The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Retrieved 2021-04-14.
- "Israel national rugby union team", Wikipedia, 2020-12-16, retrieved 2021-04-13
- "Always Believe in Magic Book". The Manning Equation. 2020-08-21. Retrieved 2021-04-14.
- Kinnaird, Megan. "Musikanth: "The team refused to give up" – UCT Ikey Tigers Rugby Club – UCTRFC". Retrieved 2021-04-14.
- "UCT are rugby world champions". www.news.uct.ac.za. Retrieved 2021-04-14.
This article "Kevin Michael Musikanth" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.