The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline.
|Alma mater||Wroclaw Medical Academy|
Jacek Szepietowski (born 1966 in Wrocław) – Poland dermatologist and venereologist, professor of medical sciences whose main topics of interests include itch, psychodermatology, hidradenitis suppurativa and chronic skin inflammation. He is a Vice-Rector for University Development of Wroclaw Medical University. In the years 2008–2016 he was the President of Polish Dermatological Society (presently he is the Honorary President of this society). Professor Szepietowski is an author and co-author of more than 700 scientific articles, 17 books, more than 80 book chapters and more than 500 congress communications.
Scientific and didactic activities
After graduating with honors from Wroclaw Medical Academy in 1991 he took up employment at its Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology consecutively as research assistant, assistant professor, associate professor and professor. In 1994 he obtained 1st degree specialization in dermatology and venereology and in 1997 2nd degree (with honors). In 1996 he obtained MD PhD degree, in 1999 a post-doctoral degree and in 2004 he became a full professor.
He interned in Utrecht (1993), Edinburgh (1996 and 1998) and Nagoya (2001).
Most important achievements (within research/expert teams):
- clinical classification of itch;
- clinical classification of drug-induced itch;
- classification of self-induced dermatoses;
- demonstrating the downregulation of expression of kappa opioid receptors in skin of patients with psoriatic itch and uremic itch;
- demonstrating a significant influence of chronic itch of different kind on psycho-social aspects of patients’ life;
- demonstrating upregulated expression of TNF-alpha and interleukin 17 in patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.
Since 2011 Jacek Szepietowski serves as a Vice-Rector for University Development of Wroclaw Medical University. Professor Szepietowski has served as: Chairman of the Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology at Wroclaw Medical University; Vice-Rector for University Development of Wroclaw Medical University (tenure 2011–2020); Co-founder and first rector of University of Medical Sciences in Legnica (2004–2005); Director of Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy of Polish Academy of Sciences in Wrocław (2007–2011) and chairman of the Department of Immunology in this Institute; Member of Medical Subcommittee of Polish Accreditation Committee (2008–2011); and Member of the Immunology and Etiology of Human Infections Committee of Polish Academy of Sciences (2008–2011). He was a supervisor of 28 and reviewer of 65 doctoral theses, (including 7 from abroad – Stockholm, Oulu, Moscow and Kaunas). He was a reviewer of 22 post-doctoral theses and reviewer of 15 applications for the conferment of the academic title of professor and 4 applications for the position of professor in Israel, Lebanon, Romania and Estonia.
Membership in scientific societies
Professor Jacek Szepietowski holds the following positions in scientific societies: Honorary President of the Polish Dermatological Society (President in years 2008–2016); President of the European Society for Dermatology and Psychiatry; Past President of International Forum for the Study of Itch (2011–2015); Member of Executive Committee of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology; Board Member of the International Society of Dermatology (Vice-President in 2009–2013), International Forum for the Study of Itch and Euro-Asian Association of Dermatovenereologist; Chairman of Project Proposal and Review Committee European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology; Chairman of Education Committee of International Society of Dermatology; and Board Member of the European Confederation of Medical Mycology (until 2008). He is an honorary member of the following scientific societies: Sigma Xi|Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society (USA); Italian Society of Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases; French Society of Dermatology; Georgian Association of Dermatovenereologists; Serbian Association of Dermatovenereologists; Belarusian Society of Dermatovenereologists and Cosmetologists; Ethiopian Society of Dermatology; Association of Dermatovenereologists of Uzbekistan; Slovak Society of Aesthetic and Cosmetic Dermatology; Kaunas Society of Dermatology; Georgian Association of Photodermatology and Skin Cancers; and Cosmetic Dermatology Society of India.
Professor Szepietowski organized the following international scientific conferences and congresses: in 2004 he was the Vice-President of the 10th Congress of the European Confederation of Medical Mycology in Wrocław; in 2007 he was the President of the 12th Congress of the European Society for Dermatology and Psychiatry in Wrocław; in 2013 he was the President of the 10th Spring Symposium of European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (Cracow); in 2017 he was the President of the 9th World Congress on Itch; and in 2018 he was the President of the 8th Conference of the European Hidradenitis Suppurativa Foundation.
Membership in editorial boards of scientific journals
Professor Jacek Szepietowski serves in editorial boards of the following scientific journals: as Section Editor of “Acta Dermato-Venereologica”; as Associate Editor of “Dermatology”; as Deputy Editor of “Mycoses”; as well as a member of editorial boards of several Polish and international scientific journals.
Selected publications (books)
- Szepietowski J, Baran W. Terapia w dermatologii. Warsaw, Poland: PZWL; 2019.
- Szepietowski JC, Weisshaar E, eds. Itch: Management in Clinical Practice. Basel, Switzerland: Karger; 2016.
- Szepietowski J, Pacan P, Reich A, Grzesiak M, eds. Psychodermatologia. Wrocław, Poland: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Medycznego we Wrocławiu; 2012.
- Samotij D, Szepietowski J. Choroby skóry – ilustrowany przewodnik dla lekarzy rodzinnych. Gdańsk, Poland: Wydawnictwo AsteriaMed; 2015.
- Szepietowski J, Reich A. Świąd – patomechanizm, klinika, leczenie. Poznań, Poland: Termedia Wydawnictwa Medyczne; 2010.
- Szepietowski J, Reich A, eds. Dermatologia – co nowego? Wrocław, Poland: Wydawnictwo Cornetis; 2009.
- Szepietowski J, eds. Leczenie chorób skóry i chorób przenoszonych drogą płciową. Warsaw, Poland: PZWL; 2002.
- Szepietowski J. Grzybice skóry i paznokci. Cracow, Poland: Wydawnictwo Medycyna Praktyczna; 2001.
- Wąsik F, Baran E, Szepietowski J. Zarys dermatologii klinicznej. Wrocław, Poland: Wydawnictwo Volumed; 1995.
- Wąsik F, Baran E, Szepietowski J. Atlas chorób skóry. Wrocław, Poland: Wydawnictwo Volumed; 1993.
Professor Szepietowski was awarded with: International League of Dermatological Societies Certificate of Appreciation; Knight's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta; Silver Cross of Merit; Medal of the Commission of National Education; Badge of Honor “For Merits for Healthcare”; and Badge of Honor “For Merits for Tourism”.
This article "Jacek Szepietowski" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.