Sudha Rajamani is a Indian astrobiologist. She is currently an Associate Professor at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune.
|Alma mater||National Institute of Immunology, Delhi|
|Awards||Best Poster Award|
Rajamani obtained her PhD in 2002 from the National Institute of Immunology, Delhi. Her thesis revolved around the study of certain aspects of sickle hemoglobin. She continued her research at the Fink Lab at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC), and was involved in studying the aggregation of α-synuclein with respect to its role in Parkinson’s disease. Following this she worked in the Deamer lab at UCSC and at the FAS Centre for Systems Biology (Harvard), where she studied the polymerization of biomolecules like amino acids and nucleotides under prebiotic conditions.
Her group at IISER Pune is involved in various research projects which aim at understanding the processes leading to the formation of biomolecules, like peptides and nucleic acids, and interaction between these molecules under the conditions that prevailed on the prebiotic Earth.
Prof. Rajamani was a contributor to a white paper which was submitted to and cited by the National Academy of Sciences. The report called for examining the current state and for further development of life-detecting technologies.
Awards and Honours
- Recognized as one of the “Outstanding Referees” for the “Communications Chemistry Journal”.
- Won the best poster award, along with her then graduate student, Niraja Bapat, at "Origins 2014", the second joint international conference of the International Astrobiology Society (ISSOL) and Bioastronomy (Commission 51 of the International Astronomical Union), held in Nara, Japan.
- "Rajamani, Sudha - IISER Pune". www.iiserpune.ac.in/people/faculty-details/.
- Mylavarapu, VS Sivaram (2001). "A Role for the α113 (GH1) Amino Acid Residue in the Polymerization of Sickle Hemoglobin". Journal of BIological Chemistry. 276: 18209–18215. doi:10.1074/jbc.M101788200.
- Zhu, Min; et al. (2004). "The Flavonoid Baicalein Inhibits Fibrillation of α-Synuclein and Disaggregates Existing Fibrils". Journal of Biological Chemistry. 279: 26846–26857. doi:10.1074/jbc.M403129200.
- Rajamani, Sudha; et al. (2008). "Lipid-assisted synthesis of RNA-like polymers from mononucleotides". Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres. 38: 57–74. doi:10.1007/s11084-007-9113-2.
- Leu, Kevin; et al. (2011). "The prebiotic evolutionary advantage of transferring genetic information from RNA to DNA". Nucleic acids research. 39: 8135–8147. doi:10.1093/nar/gkr525.
- "Interview with Sudha Rajamani". azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in.
- Mungi, Chaitanya V.; et al. (2016). "Synthesis of barbituric acid containing nucleotides and their implications for the origin of primitive informational polymers". Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 18: 20144–20152. doi:10.1039/C6CP00686H.
- "White Paper on the Future of Life Detection Technologies published by Giri, et al. on ArXiv". elsi.jp/en/news/highlights/2018/11/20181107_TonyZJia.html.
- "Life-Detection Technologies for the Next Two Decades". astrobiology.com.
- "Outstanding referees". www.nature.com/commschem/referees/outstanding-referees.
- "Niraja Bapat and Dr. Sudha Rajamani win the Best Poster Award at 'Origins 2014', Nara, Japan". astrobiologyindia.in/news/.