|Add a Photo|
|Born||1987 (age 33–34)|
Kapsoit, Kericho County, Kenya
|Alma mater||University of Nairobi|
Mercy Korir is a Kenyan medical doctor and multimedia-health journalist.She is a recipient of Uzalendo Award.,the Kenyan Presidential Order of Service for her contribution during the period of corona virus fight in Kenya. Mercy is also a Fellow of the International Center for Journalists (ICJF) and the host of of KTN News Health Digest..
Background and education
Korir was born in 1987 at Kapsoit, Kericho County in Kenya. She sat for Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) in 2000 before joining Bahati Girls High School. She passed with distinction and was admitted to University of Nairobi to study medicine in 2006.
In third year of campus, Korir joined Association of Medical Students and created a magazine; later becoming editor of the same magazine. In 2011, she graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery Degree and enrolled for a Masters of Arts (MA) in Communication at the University of Nairobi between 2013-2015.
After graduating from medical school in 2011, Korir interned at Machakos Level Five Hospital, had a brief stint as a medical doctor before becoming a full-time journalist. She joined Standard Group PLC in 2016 as reporter and anchor of KTN News Health digest.
She is notable for highlighting the story of Louis Otieno, a former Kenyan TV anchor who lost and regained his hearing. Recently, Korir interviewed Dr Mercy Mwangangi, Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS), Ministry of Health Kenya and one of the most visible faces in the fight against COVID-19 in Kenya.
Besides hosting KTN News Health Digest, Korir contributes to The Standard Group PLC radio, print and digital publications.
Korir grew up in a remote village in Kericho County in Kenya where she often walked to school from their mud hut home. She was raised by a police officer single mother.
During her third year at The University of Nairobi, Korir became Secretary General of Association of Medical Students. She also served on the Board of Directors of Kenya Medical Association (KMA) SACCO’s as Vice-Chair and Chairperson of the Education Committee in 2019.
Korir is passionate about universal health coverage for all.
In the media
- "Mercy Korir". International Center for Journalists. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Chepkwony, Michael. "Chasing hope: Doctor on TV charts fresh path in health". Standard Digital News. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Where are my friends? Asks Louis Otieno as world crumbles around him". Nairobi News. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Korir, Dr Mercy. "Hello, Louis Otieno can now hear you". The Standard. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Evewoman : Achieving woman: Dr Mercy Mwangangi, the doctor with a big public voice". www.standardmedia.co.ke. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Ogila, Japheth. "Health DG Dr Amoth, KTN's Dr Korir among persons honoured in Covid-19 fight". Standard Digital News. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- https://www.the-star.co.ke/authors/gilbertkoech. "Covid-19: Uhuru awards journalists, healthcare workers and donors". The Star. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "MD Wachira Waruru, 8 top journalists from Royal Media Services conferred Presidential Award". Citizentv.co.ke. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- "Elections 2020". www.kmasacco.com. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Mercy Korir on twitter
- Mercy Korir | International Center for Journalists
- MERCY KORIR | Publons
- Dr. Mercy Korir | The Standard (Kenya) Journalist | Muck Rack
- Mercy Korir on linkedin
- KTN News' Dr Mercy Korir narrates her experience after taking a COVID-19 test
- Dr Mercy Korir - The Standard
- Dr Mercy Korir | embrace everyone